water leak from faucet knob

Old 11-29-05, 02:46 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water leak from faucet knob

When I turn the knob of my hot water, water leaks from the knob.

I tried unscrewing a screw on the knob with the intention of the knob but even after I remove the screw, the knob does not seem to be removable.

Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Old 11-29-05, 05:10 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A knob with a screw is removable. It is simply seized on. I own a faucet handle puller for this. Metal or acrylic (plastic) knob?

Cause of leak: O-ring around the valve stem has flattened out. Need to replace the o-ring(s). Replace washer or washerless rubber cups while at it. Use plumbers grease when assembling parts back, to o-rings and threads and the sline that the faucet knob goes over so that handle comes off easier the next time.

Old 11-29-05, 05:21 PM
T
It's metal. If it's seized on, I can just pull it out right?

Can you tell me a little about the plumber grease? If I go to OSH, should I ask for the plumber's grease?

thanks.

Old 11-29-05, 05:36 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You mean pull the handle "off". Not an easy task. That is why they invented pulers. The metal faucet handle corrodes onto the valve's stem. You can try letting Liquid Wrench soak in the screw hole. You can then try rapping on the metal handle with the plastic end of screw driver. You can try to carefully pry it off using a "wonder bar" carpenters/roofers pry tool by slipping the tool under the bottom lip of the handle and rocking it off the deck of the faucet. You may end up scratching, denting or bending, though. That's why they invented the puller.

Plumbers grease has no solvents in the grease that can disolve rubber o-rings, as opposed to regular grease. Plus it's approved for use with potable water (drinking water)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: