broken screw and diverter

Old 12-11-05, 12:21 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
broken screw and diverter

problem #1. in an attempt to remove the valve stems in my bath tub so i can replace the washers, when i attempted to remove the screws that hold the handles on the faucets, they both broke (screw heads) off due to rust. is there any way to remove the rest of the screw. the stems are pretty old and i am afraid i may not find replacements that will fit in the seats. what do i do. problem #2. When i turn the shower diverter to shower, a very small amount of water comes from the shower head, and a lot from the faucet. what do i do here. as always, thanks in advance for any help

Old 12-11-05, 03:39 PM
If the stems are so old and corroded that the screws broke right off, I would be concerned that the rest of the valve may be too corroded. Assuming that you have already shut off water to the house and relieved the pressure, I would try to pull the stems first. If you can't pull the stems or if you pull them and find that the seats are not repairable or replaceable, then the handles are a moot point. You would be looking at a new valve. If you can get the stems out, and the seats are OK (or you can properly dress them), you might not be able to get the screws out of the stem to replace the washer. If the stems are in such bad shape (assuming good seats) then you have a good chance of getting replacement stems. Go to a store that carries a whole line of them, or search on the Internet.

Old 12-12-05, 01:28 AM
M
thank you for the info on the stems, i will try to remove them. you did not mention anything about my second problem, the shower diverter. how shall i address that. i forgot to mention in my original post that the diverter is in the tub spout itself. the pull up type. again, thanks in advance

Old 12-12-05, 06:23 AM
Sorry, I thought you were talking about a 3 handle shower valve.
The diverter on the tub spout is metal. The stopper part has probably corroded so much that it won't seal. The only fix is to replace the tub spout with a similar one. It is either screwed onto a 1/2" male pipe fitting or it slips onto a smooth 1/2" pipe and has a set screw. Look under the spout. If you see a cutout next to the wall end, look there for a hex set screw to loosen. If not, then you will unscrew the whole spout from the pipe.
If the tub spout does not sit tight against the wall, now is the time to fix that (when you replace the spout).

Old 12-12-05, 11:35 AM
M
thank you so much. i will give it my best. thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: