Toilet waste pipe leaked

Old 12-26-05, 08:36 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet waste pipe leaked

The waste pipe going from the toilet to the main stack in my basement slightly leaked from one of the joins between two sections. I don't know when it happened so it could have been from yesterday or five years ago. It's dry and does not leak when I flush the toilet. Just now I'm wondering if I should try and plunge it to see if that forces any water out.

My question is do I need to fix it? It looks like it only happened once. Is it causing me any problem? In another thread I talk about how it drains a little slow and sometimes clogs with an air bubble rising from the waste hole in the toilet. I intend to snake it today from the basement.

Can it be fixed without cutting the pipe out? Some kind of sealant applied at the join?

Old 12-26-05, 10:00 AM
D
I plunged it but no water leaked from that same joint.

Old 01-22-06, 07:49 AM
D
I'm still having this problem. For no reason, the bowl clogged yesterday, didn't have a chance to plunge it cause I was leaving, but today it worked fine. The water in the bowl seems a touch low.

Old 01-22-06, 08:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It may be a vent problem. Vents allow air into the drain system for proper drainage. If the vent is blocked, you will see the bubble you referred to. Try running water in the tub (with the stopper in place.) Then drain the tub and watch the toilet bowl. If the water moves, this is a sign of a blocked vent. The vent pipe goes out the roof and may have a birdsnest, spiderwebs that collect condensation and freeze, or leaves clogging it. make sure it is safe to go onto the roof. Remove anything you can by hand and then flush with a garden hose. Good luck.

Old 01-22-06, 08:46 AM
D
Thanks. This toilet is by itself on the first floor, though. There is a tub on the second floor right above it. Would that work? In any case, I might just let a plumber fix this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: