tub over flow leaking

Old 01-18-06, 08:35 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tub over flow leaking


we discovered a huge stan on my ceiling in the dining room. after some searching, we have discovered that the tub is leaking directly above. we have narrowed down to the overflow hole in the tub. after i open the cap, i dicovered gaps from 3->9 o'clock area where the pipe attaches to the tub. the orange color 'putty' has pulled away from the tub and is dry and crumbly. does anyone know what material is that? and how the replace it? i don't have access to lift the tub but does have enough room to squeeze in caulking. but, since the original material isn't caulk, i thought i should ask here first.


Old 01-18-06, 08:51 AM
majakdragon's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: N.E. Arkansas
Posts: 7,475
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The orange stuff may not be putty but a gasket. Tub overflows come with a gasket originally. You could use an exterior grade silicone caulk. Be careful not to slop it all over. A small bead should be sufficient. I would try to find a gasket first though. If you silicone it and ever have to remove it again, it will be a real pain to remove and to clean off the old to reseal the cover. Good luck.

Last edited by majakdragon; 01-18-06 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling error

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: