Replaced shower valves, luke warm water

Old 01-22-06, 05:24 PM
R
rhs
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replaced shower valves, luke warm water

Hi, I just replaced two shower valves (single control Mixet Hot and Cold) in two different showers because the old ones were real hard to turn (28 years old and probably never greased). With the new replacement valves I don't get hot water (luke warm at best). The very hard to turn old valves would give me hot water.
The installations seemed to go ok and I do get hot water in the sinks in those bathrooms upstairs. The valves in both showers do switch from warm to cold ok, just no hot water.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,

Robert

Old 01-22-06, 07:33 PM
R
rhs
Follow up

Just a follow up....I raised the temperature on the hot water heater and we're getting hotter water out of one of the showers. Haven't tried the other one yet.
I wouldn't think that that would solve the problem as all I did was change out the shower valve in two bathrooms.

Anyone have any ideas?

Robert

Old 01-22-06, 08:01 PM
Did you check the installation instructions to see if the valves are anti-scald? If they are, you have to adjust them for the temps you want. These valves are adjustable for families with kids so none of them get scalded. Good luck.

Old 01-22-06, 08:09 PM
R
rhs
no anti-scald instructions

I read the instructions again and there is nothing suggesting an anti-scald adjustment.
But I do recall that there was a phillips screw at the end of the valve (end that goes into the copper pipe first) inline with the valve. Could that be an anti-scald adjustment?

Robert

Old 01-22-06, 08:14 PM
Not knowing what you installed I can't be sure. The ones I have installed had what looked like a dial arm on the screw so you knew where you started from. It turned right for hotter and left for cooler. If you know the name and model number you can check at the top of this Forum page for manufacturers websites and toll free phone numbers. You may find your model at the website with a digram explaining the parts inside the unit.

Old 01-22-06, 08:42 PM
R
rhs
Thanks

Thanks much, will try that.

Appreciate it.

Robert

Old 01-24-06, 01:42 PM
flyfish29
Visiting Guest
I dont know what you installed, but is there a right and wrong side up to the stem (if any) in the piece you are talking about. I just remember reading about this in replacing my shower mixer valve stem a few weeks ago. Just an idea from a person not qualified to be a major plumbing troubleshooter- but trying to become a student of minor solutions, etc.

good luck

Old 01-24-06, 06:54 PM
R
rhs
right and wrong side up of stem

Good question, yes there is a right and wrong side up....it is marked with a red mark which needs to be pointing upward.

I increased the temp on the water heater and am getting warmer water so it's better than the like warm water I reported originally but it never gets hot.

I sent an email to the vendor and am waiting for a response on the question of whether the screw at the far end is an anti-scald feature.

Thanks.

rhs

Old 02-23-09, 08:06 AM
B
Mixet Valve adjustment

Did you ever get a fix for this? I just replaced 3 Mixet valves and where they used to be stiff and the temp would vary, now they are very easy to turn but I cant get the water warm. I suspect that there is an adjustment but the package on the new stem didnt show anything. The brass end of the cartridge looks like I can adjust it by screwing the threads in and out but I'm not sure. Can anyone provide advice on this?

Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: