Ball Rod Replacement in sink

Old 01-28-06, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ball Rod Replacement in sink

Hi everyone,

I just tried replacing the ball rod assembly on my bathroom sink drain, and things did not go so well.

First, and in case this matters, the "universal" Danco ball rod assembly I bought at Lowes is longer than the one I took out. It almost seems to be too long. It also has plastic screw-on "grip clips" to hold the rod to the clevis instead of a metal clamp like the old one had.

If I were to try to achieve the length of the old rod by moving the position of clevis further up the rod, the grip clips would no longer be on the threads and don't hold the clevis well. When I move the rod to the bottom hole on the clevis, it seems to be too long.

Right now, that's where it's positioned, and when I lift up the stopper, it just falls back down. I found on the web where it said this is caused by not having the retaining nut fastened tightly enough, but I've tightened it as much as I think I should.

Any suggestions? Do I need to buy another ball rod assembly that's an exact replacement for what I took out?

If it helps, here's a link to a photo of the mess:

http://www.janegilbert.org/sink.jpg

I thought this was going to be easy.

Thanks much.

Jane

Old 01-28-06, 02:22 PM
hokiejane, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Was there a particular reason you replaced the mechanism? Just wondered as I have never seen one go bad. Just a little build up on the ball that may cause a leak.
Will the old clips go onto the new rod? That may solve your problem. If not, I would suggest buying another one that matches your old one. You may be able to get a refund on the new one that doesn't work for you. Good luck.

Old 01-28-06, 03:10 PM
Hi MD,

Thanks for the response.

I had to replace the assembly because the plastic protrusion from the ball broke off.

Unfortunately, the new rod is bigger in diameter than the old one, and the metal clip won't fit over it. And that also means the new ball won't fit the old rod.

Lowes only had one assembly to choose from, but maybe Home Depot will have others. I guess "universal" isn't so universal, is it?

Thanks again.

Jane

Old 01-28-06, 04:48 PM
B
drain stopper problems

jane,

this may sound like a dumb question, but did you make sure that the screw that is attached to the rod that you pull up and down is tight?

barry

Old 01-29-06, 04:45 PM
Hi Barry,

Thanks for the response, and no question is too dumb when it comes to me and plumbing. But yes, that screw is tight.

Jane

Old 04-25-10, 07:40 AM
P
Ball Rod too Long ?

HI.

Seems like the new ball rods are too long, too short,
too thick or too narrow. I just replaced one myself.
It was too long.....so, this might sound too simple,
but take it to lowes or home depot, and have them cut it to
the length of your old one ? That's what I did. That the other parts look different is OK. Also, I don't thread it into the
drain stopper hole. This way I can lift it out to clean off
hair and soap without undoing the entire deal. It still pops up and down.

PlumberGril

Old 04-25-10, 01:38 PM
>>>Do I need to buy another ball rod assembly that's an exact replacement for what I took out?

Old 07-05-10, 02:40 PM
Hey everyone, I too am having a heck of a time replacing my ball rod assembly!

Reason Iím replacing in the first place is that:
1) it started leaking badly.
2) the stopper no longer stayed up when pulled up

I assumed the thing was just worn out. I started out with Ace Hardware, got a kit that also had rods too long. In addition, the kitís replacement nut was made of plastic and I couldnít get it to thread correctly for the life of me (the original nut is metal).

I then went to a specialty plumbing store and got the exact model replacement. I asked the salesperson there how the thing was supposed to work. They confirmed that itís just a tightening of the nut down on the ball, and therefore itís friction that keeps the stopper up and stays up.

I put the new one in, and itís behaving the same way. The pullup doesnít stay, no matter how tight. And I can feel a lot of slack between the ball and nut. The ball is the same size as the original.

Am I missing a grommet/o-ring or something? That could account for the slop. I donít get it, this shouldnít be so hard!

Old 07-05-10, 04:39 PM
Ok, I found this video, which shows the use of pipe sealant. I tried using some of that, but still wonít even begin to pinch down on the ball enough to keep the stopper in place.

Old 07-06-10, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by ElectroLund View Post
Ok, I found this video, which shows the use of pipe sealant. I tried using some of that, but still wonít even begin to pinch down on the ball enough to keep the stopper in place.
There is a semi-round piece of plastic that goes in to the hole where the pop-up rod goes in, you didn't lose that, did you? without it, it will never work.

Old 07-06-10, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Yep..the cast part of the drain is rounded, then you put the ball and rod in..then the plastic semi-rounded washer/bushing..then the nut.

Old 07-06-10, 02:14 PM
Thank you, Gunguy45 and shacko. I am definitely missing this alleged "plastic semi-rounded washer/bushing"!

Dang, hopefully my plumbing shop sells that.

Old 07-07-10, 01:46 PM
I think you are going to have a hard time finding that part; it has to match the drain rod and the hole it goes into, you may be better off just replacing the pop-up drain.

http://image.lightingshowplace.com/p...ze/A5002CP.jpg

Old 07-07-10, 08:01 PM
Ok, will do, shacko. Thanks for that picture. Worth 1,000 words!

Old 07-09-10, 07:31 PM
Got it fixed, guys! My local plumbing shop had the little plastic tapered washer and grommet. Put that in with some plumbing grease/lube, and itís working now!

Stopper stays up like it should and doesnít leak. Thanks again. Iíve learned yet another strange home improvement job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: