unable to remove sink drain (new faucet installation)

Old 01-29-06, 03:45 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
unable to remove sink drain (new faucet installation)

I am trying to replace a bathroom sink's faucet and the old faucet seems to be stuck in the sink.
I have removed everything else including the washers that held the drain in place on the sink, but the lip that holds it in from the top appears to be permenantly attatched to the pipe from the bottom. I cannot pull it out through the sink because the drain plug lever goes in there and sticks out from the side.
SO unless this sink was sold as a complete unit (?) there has to be a way to take the top piece out of the bottom piece and pull one out the top and the other out the bottom.
HELP!!! I am selling this place and just wanted to fix a leaky faucet, not the whole sink!!! Now not sure what I got myself into!
The new faucet clearly has seperate pieces and I am sure everyone has seen them in the stores (this one is made by Moen). It is Sunday and the Moen people are not answering the phone. I have no idea who made the old faucet. It looks pretty generic, like lots of other faucets from the 70's and 80's.
I guess my question is: did they make sink/faucet combos that do not come apart OR am I just not able to see how this comes apart?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-06, 05:36 PM
T
Check the pipe underneath where the lever for the drain plug is. That assemby that the lever goes through may snap or thread off.

Page 4 of this has a diagram of two like this:

http://www.deltafaucet.com/media/Pro..._2580_59af.pdf

Old 01-29-06, 05:37 PM
Are you talking about removing the FAUCET or removing the DRAIN?
The top part of the drain (that you see from the top of the sink) unscrews from the bottom part (that you see below the sink). Loosen the large nut underneath the sink and try to rotate the bottom part while holding on to the top part.
Does that answer the drain part?
Are you still trying to get the faucet off?