Eljer Shower Valve

Old 01-29-06, 09:58 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!!! Eljer Shower Faucet

We have an older model Eljer Shower Faucet (single handle)that we are trying to replace the cartridge in. We remove the stem and then there is a brass cap-like thing that holds the cartridge in and we don't know how to get this off. We've tried unscrewing it but that doesn't work. Any ideas????

Old 01-29-06, 10:26 AM
Patpisc, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Not sure what model you have so I have included Eljers website link. Just click on it and look at the units. On the right side they include installation instructions and repair parts. You may be able to figure out what has to be removed to change the cartridge. Good luck.

http://www.eljer.com/Products/Produc...tegory1=Faucet

Old 01-29-06, 06:09 PM
P
Unhappy Eljer Shower Faucet

We have an older model Eljer Shower Faucet (single handle)that we are trying to replace the cartridge in. We remove the stem and then there is a brass cap-like thing (looks like the cap to a canning jar but without the threads) that holds the cartridge in and we don't know how to get this off. We've tried unscrewing it but that doesn't work. Could it be a reverse-thread?Pull or pry off? Any ideas????

Last edited by Patpisc; 01-29-06 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 06:46 AM
I don't see too many Eljer faucets in this area, and their website has no support, but if you can upload a picture or two, maybe we can figure it out.

Old 01-31-06, 07:34 AM
Patpisc,
Please keep all posts related to the original post in one thread by using the REPLY button at the bottom of the last post. This keeps all answers together and stops confusion. Thanks.

Old 02-14-08, 04:44 PM
C
I got good news and bad news

Good news, the search feature works. Type in Eljer, and I got 3 pages of stuff related to Eljer. It also appears Eljer is more into toilets than anything else.

Bad news, even with 3 page of stuff, I still didn't see an answer to my problem. But this is a closest thread so I'm bumping to the top instead of taking up space with a new thread.

Here's my problem. I also have a single handle Eljer valve in my shower stall. When the handle is lifted up, the weight of the handle alone will cause the handle to drop. Not completely drop, maybe 1/4 of the way.

Another problem is that the handle (or valve) is too sensitive. Trying to get that perfect water temp is difficult, not impossible, just difficult. What makes it difficult is that if you barely, I mean barely touch the handle in either direction it makes the water too hot or too cold. Even if the hose from the shower head touches it, the water temp will change.

This is the kids bathroom and they are getting to the age where they can take there own showers, so I need this problem corrected.

I tried clicking on the link above, but it doesn't work. I also tried searching Eljer's website, and nothing there. I've changed Moen shower valves in the pass so I was hoping this valve would have been similar.

After removing the beauty plate, shower handle, shower handle adaptor and a nylon ring, this is what I see

What's the next step in replacing the valve? I also went to a local plumbing store to see if they carry Eljer products (the big box stores don't carry Eljer products) I discribe the same scenerio to them and they said it sound like my compression valve (or something like that) is gone bad. They also said that star ring thingny should screw right off. What's your opinion?

Old 02-14-08, 06:36 PM
no support from Eljer

As I posted earlier, I see little Eljer in this neck of the woods, and it seems that Eljer has dropped the faucets line. Both of my local wholesalers have stopped dealing with Eljer. I have found their support to be not very good. It also seems that they have absolutley no reference to faucets on their website. Having said that, I don't believe that taking your valve apart is going to help you any if you cannot find a source for Eljer faucet parts.
Look at the bottom of this page: http://www.plumbingpartsdepot.com/eljerstemsnew.pdf
I believe that yours is one of these two cartridges. The metal "cap" in your picture should unscrew, allowing you to pull out the cartridge. The moving parts are part of the cartridge, so you need to replace it to fix the droopy handle.

Old 02-14-08, 06:57 PM
C
My local plumbing store do carry Eljer parts. They stated the valve is either going to be the old or new style of Eljer valve, in which they carry both types. If fr some reason my local plumbing store inventory is incorrect, It's good to have an second option with Plumbing Parts Depot.

When you say metal "cap" are yo refering to the outter portion. I just took a second look at it and it does seem like I should be able to put a pipe wrench (or equivelant) on the outter portion and screw the "cap" off.

To be continued

Thanks

Old 02-14-08, 07:18 PM
You shouldn't use a pipe wrench. If it won't unscrew by hand, try a rubber jar opener. If that doesn't turn it, try a pair of pump pliers (long-handled slip-joint with curved jaws) with a piece of rubber to help grip the nut and keep from marring it.

Old 02-15-08, 04:32 AM
C
Originally Posted by fixitron View Post
You shouldn't use a pipe wrench. If it won't unscrew by hand, try a rubber jar opener. If that doesn't turn it, try a pair of pump pliers (long-handled slip-joint with curved jaws) with a piece of rubber to help grip the nut and keep from marring it.
I understand, I'll use a tool that's not as aggressive as a pipe wrench.

Old 02-16-08, 08:52 PM
C
Incase anyone is keeping track, or for a search archives. After removing the metal cap, I was able to pull out the valve. It seperated while pulling it out. Took the valve to local plumbing store, purchase a new valve, re-install in reverse, problem solved.

Thanks

Old 03-17-08, 04:20 AM
D
try calling eljer at 800-435-5372 or 800-423-5537 or 866-863-5537

Old 01-13-09, 06:25 AM
J
Unhappy Replacing a ancient Eljer Shower valve

I am trying to replace the Eljer shower valves that have been installed in my 235 type house in the early '70's.

Have had a time of it just trying to remove the handles so I can get at the valves. No amount of tapping with a hammer will get them unstuck. Have also tried pulling on them the hammer. No such luck. The handles are basically arrow shaped. Sort of a triangle with a short nub at one point. Already used WD-40 also. Is there any sort of spray product I can purchase at my local plumbing supply that will dissolve the corrosion but not damage the fixtures? Also is anyone knowledgeable on removing / replacing these ancient type valves?

Old 01-13-09, 09:26 PM
C
Originally Posted by Johngoodin View Post
I am trying to replace the Eljer shower valves that have been installed in my 235 type house in the early '70's.

Have had a time of it just trying to remove the handles so I can get at the valves. No amount of tapping with a hammer will get them unstuck. Have also tried pulling on them the hammer. No such luck. The handles are basically arrow shaped. Sort of a triangle with a short nub at one point. Already used WD-40 also. Is there any sort of spray product I can purchase at my local plumbing supply that will dissolve the corrosion but not damage the fixtures? Also is anyone knowledgeable on removing / replacing these ancient type valves?
I hear vinager is good a good alternative to use that will disolve calcium build-up is plumbing fixtures. I've never tried it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: