Old 02-06-06, 07:47 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
toilet installation

I am installing a new toilet.
Here is what the flange (or whatever the pipe is called) looks like:

http://home.comcast.net/~rvdstudio/ToiltFlange.jpg

I bought an extendor kit as I am putting in new tile also and we might raise the
floor level. I need some advice. This looks pretty dirty, how do I best clean it up?
The 2 bolts dont seem to come loose, how do i remove them to make room foor the new ones?
And also, the toilet did leak so the floor looks like it was burnt, I assume was from the water damage? Any advice will help a lot.
Thnks,

Old 02-07-06, 04:52 PM
K
Looks like you could use anew sub foor. Theres nothing to secure the flange to. Cut it off in the basement befor the lead. Run abs up. No flange. Redo the floor Including the tile. then put the flange on and screw to the floor.

Old 02-08-06, 01:35 PM
R
toilet flange

Kranky, you are loosing me. First I should mention we are on the 4th floor.
Neighbors below with baby.

Yes a new subfloor would help, but what do we cut off and how do we screw a flange to the floor?
What is ABS? You mean PVC pipe? I looked again and the flange pipe looks badly rusted. The bolts may just be rusted in? Does it need replacing? How can we save it? Seems to be a rim on the flange made of lead (the metal). Is that normal?

Originally Posted by krankyoleman
Looks like you could use anew sub foor. Theres nothing to secure the flange to. Cut it off in the basement befor the lead. Run abs up. No flange. Redo the floor Including the tile. then put the flange on and screw to the floor.

Old 02-08-06, 04:40 PM
K
It may be the picture but the flange is in the air. The bolts up hold the toilet. There should be brass screws down into the floor to hold the flange down.I don't work in apartments.I'm not sure how to do this. I hope some one else chimes in. I'll keep thinking. Might get abook on plumbing and another on house rough in. I am sorry.

Old 02-09-06, 09:17 PM
I'll start by saying that kranky pointed out some very important items to address. One is the subfloor. Without a solid structure for the flange to anchor to, you have nothing. If you are going to put a tile floor down you will need to set the new flange on top of the tile, not even or below the finished floor surface. All this does is introduce you to problems with setting the toilet.

That flange needs to be cut out and replaced with a connection to adapt to PVC or ABS piping and a flange. From there you can anchor the new flange through the tile and subfloor.

Quote:

Kranky, you are loosing me. First I should mention we are on the 4th floor.
Neighbors below with baby.

Don't understand what relevance this has to the situation you have. There is a right way and numerous wrong ways to make this repair. If that is a cast iron drain, installing a service weight gasket and using a short piece of PVC pipe should do the trick going into the flange. Having the flange on top is crucial.

Old 02-10-06, 03:37 PM
K
dunbar

Dunbar have you seen the pvc flanges that goes about 3" into cast. Then has a rubber ring. Allen pull the bottem up to seal the ring. If you have any luck with it?

Old 02-10-06, 06:55 PM
Yes. I keep one on the truck and 2 in the shop. They come in very handy but they don't always conform to the piping, or you simply run out of thread before it compresses inside the piping.

It has its advantages along with the 8 different styles of flanges I have on my truck for all possible situations.

Old 02-11-06, 12:29 PM
K
Ok thanks We havethem at the shop I haven't used one yet

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: