Toilet rough in -- too short

Old 02-12-06, 07:51 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet rough in -- too short

I am remodeling my bathroom. When the cement board was installed on the wall behind where the toilet will go, I found that the PVC pipe (center) for the toilet is 11.25" from the cement board. I plan to cover the wall with tile, which make the separation even shorter. My new toilet has a 12" rough in.

Can I use my new toilet? If so, how? Will the fix affect the performance of the toilet?

Thanks.

Old 02-12-06, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The rough-in measurement is figured from the STUDS to the center of the toilet drain plus 1/2". Thus, a 12" rough toilet is 12-1/2" from the studs. This takes in consideration of 1/2" drywall. You will probably need a 10" rough toilet. Otherwise, the tank will hit the wall and be in a bind. You can put the toilet together (if it is a 2 piece) and set your bolts in the flange cutouts. Sit the toilet on the studs and see how much room you have. Trying to "cheat" on the flange (by sliding the toilet further out) will result in clogs down the line. Evidently whoever roughed in the toilet did not know of how much material you planned on putting on the wall. Good luck.

Old 02-12-06, 11:16 AM
M
moving the toilet forward

Majakdragon,
Thanks so much for the warning.

I would like to use the 12" rough-in toilet I have, but I don't want to have problems with clogs later. It will be difficult to find a 10" rough-in toilet that matches my other bathroom fixtures, which are coordinated. Few manufacturers make a 10" rough-in toilet.

Can the PVC pipe for the toilet be moved forward 1"? The bathroom floor has not yet been tiled. There is a plywood subfloor with a Hardibacker board over it. Would it be a major job?

Last edited by m ben; 02-12-06 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-12-06, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you have access to the pipe, yes you can extend it. You will probably need 2 couplings and a piece of pipe. The couplings take off about 1/2" for the 2 of them.

Old 02-12-06, 12:51 PM
M
Thanks!

Thank you very much for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: