Stinky toilet on new floor

Old 02-21-06, 07:20 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stinky toilet on new floor

After a major toilet overflow ruining the adjoining Pergo, we have had the floor in the kitchen and adjoining powder room replaced with tile.

The subfloor in the kitchen is concrete, but in the powder room it appeared the terrazo had been set directlyinto the subfloor, as it was level with the concrete.

After resetting the toilet, it rocked. Floor contractor fixed the rockin, but it smelled. Obviously it was not sealed properly. To make a long story short, after 4 service calls, each with a small improvement and resetting the toilet with a thicker wax ring, we still have some smell. I have made sure the toilet is completely clean and have scrubbed the grout well so there should be no lingering odor from any earlier leakage. We have also checked the toilet for a crack, but there's no water leaking, and no visible crack.

The tile raised the level of the floor at least .25" with the tile and thinset, so I am now wondering if this could be enough to keep the wax ring from sealing properly. And what fixes that problem?

I am not going to fix this myself, but want to tell the contractor what I am going to have them pay for before I call the plumber!

I think four tries by the flooring company is enough!

Old 02-21-06, 07:59 AM
Raising the floor will affect the toilet seal. 1/4" is not a lot, and a thick wax ring should take care of it. The toilet flange should ideally rest on top of the finished floor. How much lower than this is it? Fluidmaster and Oatey make "waxless" seals for just this application. They easily tolerate up to 2" offset.

When you pull the toilet off, it should be apparent looking at the bottom whether there was 100% wax contact all the way aroung.

While the toilet is off, make a careful inspection around the flange area for any indication that water from the leak has worked its way UNDER any part of the existing floor or sufloor. I think you said terazzo, so i suppose this is not likely. In vinyl floors, especially if there is more than one layer, water can seep in and linger, and odor is a big problem and can only be fixed by taking up the entire floor down to "bedrock"

Old 02-21-06, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the toilet flange is below the floor, an entender ring could also be used. These come in different thicknesses to raise the flange height. They need to be screwed through the existing flange using the holes provided in the extender ring. Good luck.

Old 02-21-06, 12:15 PM
D
Thnks, guys, I will have them come and take the potty up once again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: