Toilet "spontaneously" cracked

Old 02-22-06, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet "spontaneously" cracked

My neighbor told me that his toilet "spontaneously" cracked. He said it's a common occurrence for older toilets. The toilet was on the second floor and the water leak flooded the first floor. His HO insurance covered considerable damage, and he had walls/ceilings repaired and painted, and new carpets and flooring for the entire 1st floor. Hmmmmmmm.....

OK, I'm a little cynical, but a "spontaneously" cracking toilet sounds a little fishy. I have two toilets on my second floor that are at least 25 years old. I'm not interested in scamming my insurance company, but should the old toilets be replaced???

Old 02-23-06, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 54 Posts
Have to wait on the experts to weigh in, but that's a new one to me.

Old 02-23-06, 07:00 AM
I, too, have never heard of this. The only reason I can see for a toilet suddenly breaking (on it's own) would be if it were cracked beforehand.

Old 02-23-06, 01:24 PM
J
I suspect, but I could be wrong, the person who claimed it spontaneously broke had a hand in the breakage.
If you are worried about your own toilets, then make a careful inspection for any hairline cracks.

Old 02-23-06, 01:50 PM
My understanding is the toilet was original to the house. The house is about 25 years old or older. I don’t think a toilet would last 25 years with a factory defect (crack). I have to assume the toilet was cracked by an accident just before the mysterious “spontaneous” crack occurred.

Thanks!

Old 02-24-06, 07:01 AM
G
I did have a toilet bowl crack in an apartment rental a couple years ago... water all over the place in the bathroom but the tenant was there so it didnt flood the place. The toilet was from the early 1960's. The story i got is that it cracked as he went to sit on it. Did he perhaps rock back on it or there was too much play off the floor? not sure... I replaced it that night and all is well since.

Old 02-25-06, 06:22 AM
J
I've heard similar stories. "It broke all by itself" or "It broke while flushing" or "I didn't do anything".
How many times has everyone heard "it clogged-up all by itself" or "I didn't throw anything down there".

Such stories have a striking similarity.

Good luck to all.

Old 08-31-11, 11:05 AM
E
It does happen,...

It absolutely happens. I had just gotten out of the shower last night and was in my bedroom getting dressed. I heard a "POP!" and ran into the bathroom to see that the tank had split and was dumping all the water onto the floor. Luckily I was there to turn off the water and clean things up before any damage to the rest of the house occured. I had not used the toilet in a couple of hours and even so, I have been the only one using it for the last year (130lb female). It is super old and my guess is that it had some weakness already that just gave way. Either way, it was completely spontaneous and I am a witness that this type of thing absolutely can happen. It is something for me to think about now, as I own another older house that I rent out that has a very old toilet. I will be proactively be replacing that one as well,....

Old 08-31-11, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
I suppose if you were to use your imagination a person could believe that a toilet could "spontaneously" break.

The ceramic material that toilets are made of is extremely stable.
What more than likely is happening is that a crack or after installation fault is spreading long after it was introduced.

One I have experienced is over-tightening the tank to bowl bolts where the tank broke weeks after the toilet was installed.
The tank started leaking from a crack but during the install I had a slight leak and gave the nuts a bit of a turn to stop it rather than check the rubber seal.

I also work in a hospital where we have hundreds of toilets, ranging from dual flush, water saving to some beauties from the 30's and the suggestion of "spontaneous" breakage would not be a reason for failure that would fly here!

Old 01-12-12, 12:37 PM
C
It hapens

It happened to me when I was living in the dorm in college. Of course mine had something to do with illegal fireworks. Water every where. The toilet had to be replaced with one acquired in the wee hours of the morning from a public rest room elsewhere on campus.

Old 01-12-12, 01:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I was installing a new toilet for a customer, took it out of the box, set it on the tile floor and half the base cracked off. Bought another same make/model and was very careful setting it on the floor and yet again the base broke. I can't count the number of times I have pulled a new toiled from a box and that was the only time something like that happened. You can be sure the third toilet I bought that day was from a different manufacturer and no problem. My theory was the first two toilets were from the same firing and the firing was done wrong creating stress. Doubt that applies to the above example though.

Old 01-14-12, 12:43 PM
M
cracked toilet

Absolutely. Happened to me. Basement toilet tank cracked and leaked out into main area. Insurance covered all damage. This toilet was installed in late 80's and broke in 2006. The insurance adjuster commented that she has seen many of these. All were Crane toliets, as was mine. Seems they had a problem with a certain batch and/or design.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: