Leaking Tub

Old 02-26-06, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leaking Tub

When taking a shower my tub does not leak. However, when taking a bath water leak's into the ajoining room along the flloor. The faucet for the tub is mounted on this wall> Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-06, 08:20 PM
Can you tell whether it is leaking while the water is running or only when the tub is draining? In other words, can you determine whether it is the supply piping or the drain piping that is leaking?
The big difference between a shower and a bath is that the latter weighs the tub down with the weight of all of that water. That can maybe move a pipe enough to start leaking, whereas it may not leak with just a shower.
How much is it leaking? How quickly does the leaking water appear?

Old 02-27-06, 05:34 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Hello, The first thing I would check would be the tub overflow. It does not get used when you shower but does function when you take a bath. To check run the water into the overflow if it leaks replace the gasket behind the tub. A tappered gasket, thick side down.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 03-01-06, 06:08 PM
Does the tub leak when it's full of water or when it's draining? If it's leaking while full of water then I'm guessing the gasket under the drain is shot. If it leaks while draining I'd investigate the p-trap and it's connection to the main drainage system.