18 year old Girl that needs help with Toilet!!!!!!

Old 02-27-06, 06:44 AM
Unhappy 18 year old Girl that needs help with Toilet!!!!!!

Well, I woke up at 8 o'clock this morning to use the bathroom. I used it, flushed, then proceeded back to bed. I then realized the loud continious noise of the toilet. It sounded like it keeps flushing. Since I know nothing about toilets Or anything I started freaking out. I lefted up the ceramic lid and there is this huge black black thing (that I'm assuming floats in the water?) and it was down, so I lefted it and it stopped making the loud noise. Once I placed it back down though, the noise started again and water began to rush from the pipe on the left. I would pull on the chain that connects the drain and the water would go down. I kept doing this because I thought it may help. It didn't so I tied a piece of string from the black thing to the shelves above the toilet so the black thing would stay up and the toilet would stop making that awful sound. Now I'd like to know... WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY DEAR TOILET?! WHAT CAN I DO TO FIX THIS? IS THIS A MINOR PROBLEM OR A MAJOR PROBLEM? It is a crane toilet, the water in the toilet looks normal. HELP HELP HELP.

Michelle

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-06, 07:00 AM
MichelleBoyett, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The black ball is attached to an arm if I am correct. The ball is supposed to float and when the water level gets to the proper height, the arm shuts off the water from the fill-valve (the thing on the left) The ball may have cracked and water is filling it so it does not float. I would suggest buying a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve. You can get these at Home Centers and hardware stores. About $6. They come with very easy to understand instructions and will take a short amount of time to install. Switching to the Fluidmaster will get rid of the ball and arm. They have a float on the water column that shuts the water off. Good luck.

Old 02-27-06, 07:40 AM
Well, I looked at the ball really well, it doesn't appear to have a crack or hole. I got my flashlight and checked and I can't see anything like that. I did look at the fill valve though and it looks like the tube is filled with water. Is that a good thing? or a bad thing? I'm wondering if I should release the string that will allow the ball down and the water to rise? To see what happens? I'm curious if it will stop at the water line mark or go over? I could just pull the drain if it goes over, but I don't want to overflow something internally in the process.

Old 02-27-06, 07:59 AM
On the left is the fill valve. Near the center of the tank is an overflow tube. The flapper is connected to the overflow tube. If you release the string, the tank should start filling with water. It should stop at about 3/4" below the top of the overflow tube. There should be one or two screws at the end of the rod that the ball is on. If you tighten (turn clockwise) the top screw, it should adjust the arm/ball to stop the flow wherever you need it. Make sure the flapper is going down on the opening it sits on.

Old 02-27-06, 09:19 AM
There is a blue screw at the very top? That is the one I should turn?

How tight should I turn it? How can I determine when it is tightened properly?

The Flapper is going down on the opening??? (The flapper is covering the drain, or hole, where the water goes where it is flushed?) I don't quite understand.

By The way, I'm really grateful that you are helping me with this. I really REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

Old 02-27-06, 09:39 AM
If you look under the end of the screw, there is a button that actually shuts the water supply off. Pull up on the arm and you will see the screw push the button down. You have to adjust it so when the tank water is 3/4" lower than the overflow pipe, the water shuts off.
I thought perhaps the flapper was not closing. This would keep the water flowing as the ball would not float up and shut the water off.

Old 02-27-06, 10:14 AM
Talking

Oh wow, I fixed it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay! I'm so happy! You really helped me out. Thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much.

Michelle

Old 02-27-06, 10:46 AM
I love it when a plan comes together. Glad I could help. We are always here when you need us.