Another Tub Installation Question

Old 03-01-06, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Another Tub Installation Question

Hello all.

I'm back with another tub installation question.

Ok here's my situation. The bathtub being installed is 59 7/8" wide (60"). My bathroom where the tub will be installed is 60 3/4" wide stud to stud. The bathtub has an integral tiling flange which the install directions say screw into the studs. With this width difference I'm left with either an even gap on each end or a larger gap on one end, which screws up the design of the tiling flange wanting the drywall to be installed directly above it then the tile to be installed over that sligtly below the drywall covering the flange.

I'm looking for some suggestions on tackling this situation as the tub installation manual assumes the studs are exactly 60" apart which in this case isnt true.

Any tips or tricks would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-06, 06:13 AM
You could rip 3/4" plywood and run them the length of the studs. That should get you there. What type of tub is it? Do you need a ledger? If so, you could also set the tub in a mortar bed and add a little shelf at the back of the tub.

Old 03-03-06, 07:06 AM
Additionally - you mention "drywall" to cover the flange. I hope you meant a CBU product...

Old 03-03-06, 07:15 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think I've decided to go with the "little shelf" idea in the back of the tub. The tub is already plumbed with the drain roughed in to the proper dimensions from the studs so that end of the tub will have to be flush. And yes my apologies in my little "diy" world drywall means "cover the wall studs" Yes I do plan on using Concrete Board in the tub/shower area and greenboard for the rest of the room.