Shower help - no hot water!

Old 03-03-06, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower help - no hot water!

hi all

Just moved house two weeks ago, everything seemed to be ok except a leak in a shower in the main bathroom.

We have an en-suite shower so used that one instead.

Yesterday the hot water ran out in the en-suite shower. At least that's what i thought.

After doing some testing today, the problem appears more serious. Basically there is plenty of hot water, the main shower (leaky one) works fine, all hot water taps still work fine, but there is NO hot water coming out of the en-suite shower.

Any ideas?

I've been up in the loft, checked all the pipes coming out of the water tank but can't see anything obvious. Can't see any pumps though and i suspect it could be one of those??

Any help appreciated. As you can tell I'm not a plumber!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-06, 07:36 AM
daft, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I would guess that you have a single handled faucet. If so, it is probably a bad cartridge. The cartridge has "O" rings that can go bad and stop/restrict the flow of water. You will have to remove the handle and remove the cartridge to inspect it. Turn off the water supply before disassembly. If you do this, mark the top of the cartridge before you remove it so you re-install it or a new one in the same position. If it is a double handle faucet, the washer on the end of the stem may be bad or the stem stripped. At the top of the Showers Forum page is a Sticky that has the websites and phone numbers for the major brands. If your faucet is one of these brands, you can access the website for diagrams of their valves. Good luck.

Old 03-03-06, 07:45 AM
thanks majakdragon!

Funnily enough I just spoke with my new neighbour - he turns out to be a plumber (handy!) - he said the same thing. It's a Triton, which apparently is a cheaper one, he's recommended replacing with a Myra thermostatic shower so will do that at some point

thanks for your help!