Planning for a pedestal sink

Old 03-07-06, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Planning for a pedestal sink

I have a 25x19 vanity top that needs changing. My wife and I have been unable to find something to our taste within the budget. There are one or two cheap choices $50-100) and then I have only seen the expensive ones ($450-500).

I would like to replace it with a pedestal sink but most instructions I have seen require me to tear open the wall and install a wooden block between the studs for support. I have two problems with that:
1. The nice wooden wainscotting would be irreplacably damaged, and
2. The stud position may not match the plumbing (I have used a stud finder)

Are there any pedestal sinks that can be mounted without ripping open the wall?

If I do not want to move the plumbing what other things should I keep in mind while shopping for the sink?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-06, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have seen pedestal sinks that have hidden holes underneath that are large enough to use wingnut type drywall fasteners. The weight is on the pedestal and the only reason for securing the bowl to the wall is so it doesn't get tipped over. Plumbing-wise it is nice if the supply piping is close together and one supply on each side of the drain. This keeps a compact look and helps hide the piping. Since the drain is exposed, you will probably want to go with a chrome drainline and some nice looking supply lines for water. Good luck.