Kitchen Faucet Shuts Off

Old 03-09-06, 06:19 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Faucet Shuts Off

Hello.

I have a problem with my kitchen faucet. Every time I try to turn on the water, a little comes out and then the faucet shuts off. I have to continuously turn the sink on and off to have the water come out and then when it does, it can shut off at any time.

I heard that the water pressure could be too much for the faucet to handle, but I do not believe this answer. The other faucets in the home work fine.

I have a one handle Delta faucet. It is very old, 20 years, but seems to be fine. I don’t want to replace the entire faucet if I don’t have to.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-09-06, 06:26 AM
S
There are kits available at most any hardware or home improvement store to rebuild any Delta faucet.I suggest you go this route.It sounds like a loose gasket (they don't like to use the word washer) or could be a bad diverter (if the faucet has a sprayer).Any part you might need is readily available.I'd rebuild the faucet including a new diverter especially if this has never been done on a 20 year old faucet and see if this solves your problems.

Old 03-09-06, 06:28 AM
S
P.S. Also check for loose washers in any supply valves in the lines coming into the faucet.Assuming these are also 20 years old they may need work as well.

Old 03-09-06, 07:21 AM
E
Kitchen Faucet Shut Off

Great Thanks! I will try the rebuild kits and see if that works.

Old 03-09-06, 07:44 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am assuming that you have removed the aerator from the end of the spout and backflushed the screens. 20 years of use will produce lots of mineral deposits against the screens. When you turn the faucet on, the water pressure can move these around to allow water to flow but then clog up again. Good luck on your rebuilding project.

Old 03-09-06, 08:40 AM
E
Kitchen Faucet Shut Off

Yes, we have cleaned out all of the screens and mineral deposits. If I slowly raise the handle to the faucet, the water will come out and after a few seconds, shut off. I then do the same thing over and over to use the faucet.

Hopefully the rebuild kits will help. If not, I will try other options.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: