Toilet drains w/out flushing

Old 03-11-06, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet drains w/out flushing

We have a 1.6 gpf, non pressure assisted Toto toilet that has started to empy its bowl w/out our flushing it. We notice it happens most often after someone takes a shower. Thinking the flapper may be the culprit, I applied downward pressure to it while the bowl was emptying to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this mystery and fixed the problem? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-06, 09:56 AM
dlainor, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I would shut off the water supply to the toilet and flush it to empty most of the water out of the tank. Then open the valve back up and watch inside the tank. Try to see WHEN the water starts flowing out of the tank. You may have a cracked/broken overflow tube that is permitting water to leave the tank. If you have the small plastic tube going into the overflow tube, make sure it is at the top of the tube. This sometimes causes siphoning when the tube is stuck way down in the tube. Make sure the fill-valve is not operating on it's own and overfilling the tank so that water is running out the overflow tube. If so, replace the fill-valve. Good luck

Old 03-14-06, 09:11 AM
Thank you majakdragon. I don't believe the problem to be with the overflow tube because, when the toilet bowl empties, the tank stays full. I am getting ready to check the vent pipe for obstructions. If none are found I guess I'll have to call in the pros.

Old 03-14-06, 11:29 AM
Sorry, I misread your post. I would agree that it is a vent issue.

Old 03-15-06, 01:40 PM
oh oh pick me , pick me!!!!

I had the samw problem but it happened when the shower was used or the washer. my problem was a crushed sewer pipe from the septic tank to the distribution box. I also got water coming up in the shower after doing the dishes AND running the washer.

what was happening was the septic tank was FULL because the sewer pipe going to the d box was crshed so the septic couldnt drain.

during periods of heavuy water usage, the pipe from the septic to the house would fill and back fill to the toilet. when the water finally did drain out, it would siphon the toilet water with it.

see if you get bubbles in the toilet. thats a sure sign youre back filling up the toilet pipe. that may not happen if it vents out the vent instead.

you may have a slow drain from the toilet and shower which is slow enough to cause the shower water to back into the toilet and siphone the water out of it.

you could pull the toilet and turn the shower and see if the water backs up the pipe to the toilet.

Old 03-16-06, 12:37 PM
Pro's to the Rescue

Well, I checked all the vents and they seemed to be fine so I called in the pros. Turns out we had a blockage in the sewer line between the house and main line (so says the pro). It must have been true because everything seems to be fine now. My only worry is the possibility of roots farther along, which the pro did not encounter but expressed concern. He suggested Root-X or Rid-X just in case. Is one product better than the other? The bill? $735 because two toilets had to be pulled due to no cleanouts.

BTW aarcuda, we did have bubbles coming through the toilet.

Thanks all for your posts.