Leaking around tub overflow

Old 03-11-06, 02:37 PM
ABS
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking around tub overflow

I had my condo "inspected" before I puchased....but...they never put water into the bathtub to see if the overflow was leaking...until my daughters were taking a bath...UGH. It seems that the prior owner had replaced the overflow in bath, but there may have been rust damage on tub, so they just filled in the empty space with caulking. Now, the caulking is leaking, and I have water leaking to the downstairs. I doubt if a new gasket would seal well enough around the overflow to keep water from leaking. Short of replacing the WHOLE bathtub, would anyone have any suggestions...No more baths? Do they make oversized overflow covers? ABS in San Diego, CA.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-06, 03:39 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Hi, You state there may be rust behind the tub so I presume the tub is steel. That being the case I would't think the overflow hole would be too big. You Also don't caulk an overflow cover. I think more likley the gasket is leaking and the previos owner had no clue.
Take the overflow plate off. Between the tub and the pipe you will find the gasket. Take a screwdriver and gently push the pipe away from the tub remove the old one and install the new one thick side down. Go to the building supply store and buy the gasket first so you have an idea of what you're hunting for.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 03-12-06, 08:38 AM
ABS
Caulking around overflow

Trust me...there IS caulking filling in around the outside of the overflow cover. You can see the caulking around the outside of cover, and it is very soft around the outside of the cover...between the inside of the tub, and the overflow cover. Would a steel tub rust through in this area? This place was made in the 1970's. I will slowly take the cover off to see what I find. I had a restoration company and a plumber in last week. They filled up the tub past the overflow. Guess they didn't believe me that it was leaking. HELLO! Anybody home?

I am waiting for a reply from my insurance company. I am sure that they will cover the damage resulting from the leak, but will not cover the problem itself.

Back to my original question, anyway to repair without replacing the whole tub, and nothing but the tub? JB Weld, maybe? More caulking? No more baths?

Thanks, ABS. San Diego, CA.

Old 03-12-06, 09:22 AM
When you remove the cover, you will pretty much have the answer you need. I have not seen a steel tub rust completely through. I agree that it is probably lack of a gasket or a damaged overflow pipe. I am sure that there are repair products available to patch holes, but the tub wall may be too thin to work with if it is indeed a rust through. Good luck.

Old 03-12-06, 03:58 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Hi, I do believe that there is caulking around the overflow and possibly inside around the pipe. That is done most the time by folks who don't know how to fix the problem. Try the gasket and if it still leaks get some Plumbers Goop (I think that's what they call it) And put it on the tub to the pipe then put the plate on after the goop dries.
That is probably your problem, gaskets become brittle with age and only show problems when taking a bath not a shower.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 03-12-06, 10:08 PM
ABS
Thank you all for your support, concern and suggestions. I will post again after I take the overflow off to let you know what the results are....

Thanks again,
ABS
San Diego, CA.