Faucet leaking into wall behind tiles

Old 03-15-06, 05:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Faucet leaking into wall behind tiles

As I was getting ready to re-calk the bathtub and fix a few loose tiles, I noticed a hole in the bottom of the faucet. It was approximately the size of a silver dollar, it was jagged and from the looks of it, rusty. I also found that the material inside the wall behind the faucet was soaked.
I removed the four tiles that sit below the faucet (Which happen to be the same ones that were loose) and I have a fan blowing the wall dry. Unfortunately, the sheetrock is now more like sand and is not at all something stable enough to hold the tiles.
So now my first question is…I do understand that I am going to have to replace the backing/sheetrock with something, I need to know if there is something else I can use to back the tiles so I don’t have to remove all (or even most) of them, replace the sheetrock and then replace the tiles.
Now the other question I have is regarding the faucet. Is it necessary for me to turn off the water at the main shut off or am I ok to just make sure the knobs are all of the way off? The last time I changed a faucet, it was in a house so we simply turned the water off until we were done. Unfortunately, With this being a condo, turning off the water at the shut off valve effects the entire building.
Thank you for your assistance

Old 03-15-06, 05:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you are replacing the tub spout, you do not need to turn the water off. These either unscrew or have an allen screw underneath that holds the spout on. Be sure to check the pipe inside the spout after you remove it to insure that it is not the problem.
I would suggest posting the Tile question in the Tile Forum. This would get you a better answer. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: