Shower pan drain leaking

Old 03-29-06, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower pan drain leaking

I discovered a small wet spot on the ceiling about 8 months ago, and finally got around to looking at it. I scraped away the bubbling paint/joint compound to discover 1 small wet spot about 1.5" in diameter. Now I can see it only gets wet when the shower is on.

I removed the drain cover and unscrewed the flange, which was not really tight at all. The plumbers putty was falling apart (house is only 6 years old). Everything below this "appeared" ok, other than slight movement in the pvc piping, which I figured was normal. I would rather NOT cut open the ceiling below unless absolutely necessary. I cleaned up the flange really well and applied a new thick bead of plumbers putty. I tightened the flange down really good using plier handles (which I now realize is a good technique) and the leak stopped ... but about 10 days later the wet spot appeared, but only after 1 shower. This was 4 days ago and I haven't seen it again. Any ideas? Could I have overtightened the flange causing TOO MUCH putty to ooze out of the joint? The pan DOES flex a bit when my 210 lb body moves in the shower.

Thanks!

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-06, 09:33 AM
I have to think that the flexing showerpan is the problem. What MAY have happened is the pipe or fitting has a hairline crack in it from the movement of the pan. This would be my first choice to check since you resealed the flange with new plumbers putty.
If you are dead set against cutting the ceiling to view the leak, you could use silicone on the flange. If it leaks after that, you will know it is a piping issue. Good luck.

Old 03-30-06, 04:13 PM
One other question. The plumbers putty I used was in the garage for about 3 years through cold winters and hot summers. Can this affect the integrity of the putty? Near the top of the tub it was a little stiff, but i dug down deep for the softer stuff.

If I notice the leak again I will try re-sealing the flange again before cutting open the ceiling below.

Old 03-30-06, 05:10 PM
Plumbers putty does not usually go bad. It has oil in it so if the oil drys out it gets crumbly. Yours should be okay.