Problem!!! Oxidated tap endings and low pressure...

Old 04-08-06, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Problem!!! Oxidated tap endings and low pressure...

Hallo,

I just moved into an old appartment and I have a problem with both my taps, one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom.

The most serious I think is the kitchen tap. I do not drink the water from it as the tap ending is strangely green under some plastic-like cover it has. The water has a strange aftertaste, I can't really identify it. Also, the water comes out of it with a very low pressure, while the shower, bathroom tap and toiletflush work fine and with lots of pressure.

About the bathroom tap's ending, it is rusty at the tip and around the rust (between the rust and the rest of the tap) there is a small white area. The water from it tastes fine though and the pressure is great. I always let it run a bit before drinking the water.

How dangerous are these situations? Shall I just install new faucets or is the problem more serious?

Thank you very much in advance,
Ioanna

PS.I can provide pictures of both situations by email.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-06, 11:56 PM
If you're referring to the aerator, you could try removing it. See if it makes a difference, and if so, get a replacement (take the old one to the store to match it up). If removing the aerator does not make a difference, you may have to look a little further; something that you probably ought to talk over with the landlord, or, if you're the owner, discuss with a plumber.

Old 05-16-06, 03:46 PM
Dear Steve, thanks for your reply. I was away for a long time and just saw your message. Yes, I am referring to the aerator and so I tried to remove the one in the kitchen, only to find out that it's not removable. That plastic cover I mentioned only covers the tap ending (!) and it cannot be unscrewed. When I tried to unscrew it I found out that it keeps turning and looks like it was just squeezed onto the tap end. It's stuck there and cannot come off.

I guess that means I have to change the entire upper part of the tap? But *can* I do that or do I have to change the whole tap?

By the way I am renting but here in Germany there is a strange law that says I must pay for every damage below 175 Euros (that's 225 USD). So I think this counts as my responsibility...

Thanks again for your reply!

Old 05-16-06, 09:01 PM
European plumbing is not my forte, but I would think that if there's a screen on the end of your faucet (or any sort of device that provides aeration) that it would be removable for cleaning. I'm not sure what the plastic cover is.

Do you know a local handyman that could look at it? Perhaps the landlord could recommend someone? From the sound of it, this should be repairable (but refer back to the earlier caveat about European plumbing).