New Washing machine drain thru tub.

Old 04-16-06, 03:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Washing machine drain thru tub.

We have a sunken tub which is not used. I want to fill it in level to the floor and create a place for the washing machine. Can I use 1 1/2 PVC for the new laundry drain line in the wall and connect it to the drain in the floor of the old tub before filling in the tub with concrete? Do I need a new trap? There should already be a trap between the tub drain and the main drain pipe which is all under the slab and not accessible without a lot of digging etc. There also exists the required vent pipe to the roof for the tub. Would I need a new (additional) vent?

Old 04-16-06, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will have to remove the underground trap and replace it with a sweep. Double trapping won't work. And you don't want your trap unserviceable later on, so if you concrete over it, you lose that option. You will be ok doing this since the washer has its own trap, just be sure to extend the 1 1/2" high enough behind the washer to make it effective. The vent should be tied back in as close to the location as possible so you don't get the "soda straw" effect.

Old 04-16-06, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Washing machines do not have their own traps. Most codes are for 2" pipe and trap for washer drains. You would be taking a chance by using the old drain for the washer since you plan on filling in the tub. The top of the drain is supposed to be at least the height of the washing machine also. Good luck.

Old 04-16-06, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Washing machines do not have their own traps. Most codes are for 2" pipe and trap for washer drains. You would be taking a chance by using the old drain for the washer since you plan on filling in the tub. The top of the drain is supposed to be at least the height of the washing machine also. Good luck.
A call to your local Plumbing inspection office can tell you what the code in your area is for washers and drains.

Old 04-17-06, 04:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The drain from the bottom of the washer's drum, to the hook at the top of the drain hose is in actuality a trap for the machine. Thanks for the clarification. I re-read my post, and found where I failed to mention reinstalling a trap in the vertical above the floor for the incoming piping. Checks and balances. I like that.

Old 04-18-06, 08:59 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My new laundry

Thanks for the info. i am going to the city inspection office first and then I will have a better idea of how to proceed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: