Shower Valve Replacement Problem

Old 04-18-06, 07:53 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Okay so my shower head was leaking with a slow drip. I was told to replace the shower valve. I went in and decided since I wasn't sure which seal it could be I'd replace the entire valve, the seals/springs and the knob and trim. Might as well make it purty too. Well my slow drip once I replaced it turned into a slow stream. After a hour of fussing I got it back to a slow drip with the entire new parts setup.

The knob seems to rock too loosely would be one of my concerns. However my old knob did the same thing. I'm not exactly sure what to do next. Can anyone help?

Old 04-18-06, 10:30 AM
shower

I'm not sure how you are using the term shower valve, it usually means the whole valve assembly, the body in the wall. Is this a tub-shower valve? Is it a single lever? Does it have 1, 2 or 3 handles? What brand? I need more info. Sorry.

Old 04-18-06, 11:12 AM
C

I believe it's a VAlley, single handle w/a ball for a shower only. Yes I replaced the shower valve unit that comes with the ball, the rings, and the unit that attaches to the knob. I also replaced the seals/springs that go into the piping to let in the cold and hot water.

I hope that helps.

Old 04-19-06, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Where is it leaking from? The shower head, the knob area? If it is the knob area, did you tighten the collar that holds the cartridge in place? It is a ring with two indentations on either side into which a special wrench fits. The knob is probably held on with either a screw through the front or an allen head set screw underneath. If the latter, then you will have to look under it and tighten it with the properly sized allen wrench.

Old 04-23-06, 05:03 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi Do you still have the old springs? If you do compare the new to the old ones if they are longer use them if you don't have them stretch the new ones a little. I worked on a lot of Delta Faucets and the are about the same. Older Delta Faucets used longer springs. Dont over tighten the bonnet Hand tight and just alittle. Then Tighten the collar with the two nothes down.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 05-02-06, 07:12 AM
C
Unhappy Shower Valve Replacement Problem

Sorry I was swamped with work and kids sports so I just turned off the water. Silly maybe, but it got the leak to stop. Anywho back to fixing this thing now that I have evenings and this weekend back.

Chandler: It's dripping from the shower head. Yes the knob is held on with an alan wrench screw. I however cannot tighten that knob enough. The knob seems to think it can go 360 degrees, when in the past my old one would only rock up and down not rotate. Which leads me to believe it's installed incorrectly, it's fairly simple to install so I'm not seeing where the problem is.

Woodbutcher: Hmm I will definitely try the spring thing tonight. See if that does it. However still have the knob problem. Any advice on my rotating knob that should just rock?

Old 05-02-06, 09:34 AM
Crissy, I think Chandler is correct in that you need to tighten this plastic collar ring that you put over the assembly before you put the knob back on. The tighter the ring is the harder it is to swivel the knob left and right. He described it well. As for the leak you might have purchased the wrong size springs and seals. Maybe somebody can find a diagram of the plastic ring and send it to you. I hope this helps, The Ladyfixer.

Old 05-02-06, 02:49 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hello, The ball should have a slot in it and there is a guide inside the valve body that the slot fits into. The top that fits over the ball has a guide that fits into the top of the valve body. The stem on the ball has a flat that the allen should tighten too.when the unit is put together the handle should turn left and right about 45 degrees each way for hot and cold and about 45 degrees up for on and off.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 05-03-06, 11:34 AM
C
Unhappy Shower Valve Replacement Problem

Okay so I got the knob fixed last night, it was due to the fact that the plastic valve wasn't properly seated in the piping. I found the little edge it was supposed to seat into, tightened the collar and now the knob rocks hot and cold perfectly.

The only problem the showerhead is still leaking. I pulled out the springs and took them to the hardware store, I verified they are the correct springs. I did notice the first time I put them in, I put the seals in turned the wrong way. I have since fixed this. However, the showerhead is still leaking.

I have walked through the entire valve, ball into little locking places, that butts up against the device that butts up against the seals that are in the correct direction, that connects to the other plastic side to the ball that locks in only one way, then connects to the knob that you screw on with teh alan wrench.

I have tightened the collar plastic adjuster as far as I can adjust it/tighten it. Any more ideas on the leak?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: