Leaky Toilet

Old 04-19-06, 10:22 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaky Toilet

I can hear my toilet leaking - a slow dripping sound - so I put some food colouring into the tank and it leaked through to the bowl. I replaced the rubber stopper and that didn't fix the problem. What else could it be?

Old 04-20-06, 03:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The rubber stopper I assume is the flapper, correct? Check the tension of the chain from the actuator to the flapper. It should not be tight. A little slack is necessary for a good seal. It is possible you have used those toilet cleaning tablets, blocks, etc. and a bit may be lodged on the mating face of the flapper assembly. As those products disintegrate, they form chunks and can cause sealing problems. Clean the rim where the flapper sits and see if that solves your problem.

Old 04-22-06, 12:49 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes the flapper I couldn't think of the word for the life of me. Anyways there is some slack onthe chain anymore and it will get in the way of flapper when it close. Also I don't or have never used tablets or blocks in the tank. So I guess I'll try cleaning the rim but if that doesn't work any other thoughts??

Old 04-22-06, 05:16 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There should only be enough slack in the chain to allow the flapper to seal. If too much slack, the toilet will "short flush". Is the water level in the tank correct? Should be 1/2 to 3/4" below the top of the overflow tube. Could also be a cracked overflow tube. I had this happen to one of my own toilets. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: