Toilet Flushing Problem

Old 04-21-06, 12:04 PM
ronmac
Visiting Guest
Toilet Flushing Problem

I replaced the flapper a while back on my toilet. Now there is a problem where it won't flush. It starts to and then swirls a bit and stops. The flapper seems to be working fine. When it did flush, it didn't seem like there was a lot of pressure either. Any suggestions?

Old 04-21-06, 12:11 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ronmac
I replaced the flapper a while back on my toilet. Now there is a problem where it won't flush. It starts to and then swirls a bit and stops. The flapper seems to be working fine. When it did flush, it didn't seem like there was a lot of pressure either. Any suggestions?
Adjust the float so it lets more water into the tank. Procedure varies depending on float type.

Old 04-21-06, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Additionally make sure there is enough tension on the actuator chain to make the flapper lift completely. It should be a little slack in the resting position. But water level is probably the culprit.

Old 04-26-06, 08:13 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the water adjusted by either tightening or loosening the screw for the flapper?

Can blue toilet cleaners that sit in the tank and emit a blue dye clog the toilet to the point where it will only fully flush every other flush? I replaced my toilet in October, and on Sunday night it began fully flushing every other flush. This is the only common practice between the old and new toilet. Sound logical?

Old 04-26-06, 09:28 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
dferrante,
The water level is controlled at the fill valve inside the tank. If you have the ball and arm type, there is a screw at the fill valve. Tightening it will let less water in. If you have the tower type, there is usually a wire along the side of it that can be adjusted up or down for more water.
I do not like any type of cleaner put into the tank. They can deteriorate the rubber on the flapper and the seal between the tank and bowl. If you must use one, get the type that hangs in the bowl.
Check the chain on the handle to the flapper. It should have only enough slack to "just" seal the flapper. This insures that the flapper is completely lifted when the toilet is flushed. Otherwise, you get a short flush. Good luck.

Old 04-28-06, 04:57 AM
ronmac
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the input. Seems the water level was the culprit and I also adjusted the flapper chain a bit on the handle. Seems to be working now but it is very touchy. May be time for an overhaul. It looks old in there and was like that when I bought the house.

Old 04-28-06, 05:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
For about $6 you can replace the fill-valve with a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve. Comes with great installation instructions and maintenance tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: