Leak (drip) at water turn off

Old 04-23-06, 08:17 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak (drip) at water turn off

I just replaced all of my bathroom sink drain assemblies. On the last one, the hot and cold turnoffs were hard to turn but once I got them loose, they turned off and on fine. However, now I have a constant drip from the hot water turnoff. It seems to be coming from the shaft (contected to the turnoff handle) where it goes into the connector (silver nut looking like thing). How can I stop this leak? If I turn the handle and close the hot water off, the leak is much slower. If I turn the handle on and run the water in the sink, it is much faster.

Thanks!
Beth

Old 04-23-06, 08:32 AM
C
Leaky Valve

Beth
You might want to carefully try and tighten the nut that connects the stem to the valve, just beyond the shut off knob.

Old 04-23-06, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Open the valve all the way before tightening the packing nut (the nut under the handle). This will make operating the valve later, easier. Good luck.

Old 04-23-06, 09:28 PM
B
tried to tighten

I tried to tighten it with a wrench with it all the way open. It still leaks, but very slowly - it takes several minutes for 1 drop of water to build up. I have had a paper towel under it for the last 2 hours and the wet spot is only about 3 inches round. I am afraid to try to tighten it anymore since it doesn't seem to want to move anymore. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Beth

Old 04-24-06, 11:44 AM
This problem sounds very familiar and not so hard to fix. Most of the shut off valves have compression fittings which will allow you to remove the entire shut off valve and replace it with one you can get at a Lowes or Home Depot. Turn your water supply off. Remove the line that goes to the sink faucet first and then unscrew the shut off valve. I had to get some muscle to do this because the valves were so old and someone used plumbers putty on them. ?? not sure why. Once you get the valve off take it to one of the stores mentioned above and hopefully you will find a match - get some help because they have so many different dimensions. Put the new shut off valve on using the old screw nut that is on the hot water line. I changed out four leaky shut off valves myself and I'm a lady in my thirties and a chemist not a rocket scientist. Hope this helps, The Lady fixer.

Old 04-25-06, 09:45 AM
B
Drip has stopped for now

For some reason, the drip has seemed to stop. I'll keep an eye on it and if it starts up again I'll try replacing the shutoff value using your instructions. Thanks!
Beth

Old 04-25-06, 12:11 PM
Be careful if you decide to replace the valve. Not all valves screw in. Many are soldered. If you replace, look for 1/4 turn valves. They tend to be more reliable and are available at the big box stores.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: