Moen Trim Kit Tub/Shower

Old 05-14-06, 06:54 AM
usulsuspct
Visiting Guest
Moen Trim Kit Tub/Shower

I need to find a trim kit for an older moen valve/cartridge. The cartridge is a Moen 12801 (it is a push/pull on off single handle.) The newer Moen faucets will not fit this cartridge as it is slightly smaller than the new positemp etc.

I dont really have the ability to change the valve. I would need to remove a tile wall and would like to avoid that if at all possible.

I was thinking that this may be something that I might find through a 3rd party (Danco comes to mind...but cant find an online catalog.)

Anybody have suggestions? TIA

Old 05-14-06, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If by trim kit you mean handle and round escutcheon plate, these are readily available. There were two principle variations on the old Moens....Chateau and Legend. Chateau used a teardrop handle, and the Legend handle was more round. The Chateau escutcheon was flat, where the Legend was bowl-shaped.

You should be able to find these in any home improvement, hardware, or plumbing supply store. Chrome is universally available, and these days you will find brushed nickel as well. Other finishes are probably available, but harder to find.

Moen used to make some lever-style retrofit trim kits for these, in many finishes. I do not know how much of this they still offer. It would have to be ordered through a distributor, including a home store. Personally, I never liked a lever on a pull-out because the lever naturally tended to "tweak" the cartridge in directions it does not like!

Danco is a wholesaler of generic plumbing parts. They probably do not sell to the general public. They are available at HD and other places.

Old 05-14-06, 06:37 PM
usulsuspct
Visiting Guest
I will check those out...although it seems like the chateau / legend facuets I see now are for the "positemp" valve, which I obviously dont have. The others seem to state they will work with the 1225 cartridge which resembles the cartridge I have 12801 but I havent compared them next to each other to see if they are identical. Does anyone have any knowledge that these are or are not the same cartridge?

Old 06-26-06, 07:45 AM
J
I recently replaced a 12801 cartridge with a 1225 on a single lever kitchen faucet. Although this stopped the leak I had, the replacement cartridge is obviously smaller than the original, because when you lift the lever to turn on the water, the lever promptly slides down to shut off the water. The only cartridge numbers I have seen on the Moen web site are 1200 and
1225. Does anyone know if the 1200 is larger than the 1225?

Old 10-27-07, 03:55 PM
S
Cool

The Moen 1225 is a direct identical replacement for the Moen 12801 faucet cartridge and for the Moen chateau / legend facuets. I had one in my single throw shower and replaced it with a 1225 which looked and fit perfectly.

Old 12-26-07, 08:29 AM
F
I'm getting ready to replace the cartridge in my shower's, single handle Moen. All the parts diagrams I see online show both the 1200 and 1225 cartridges in their exploded views. When I see a picture of these cartidges online, they do look different from one another. Is there any way to know which one will work in my faucet before I disassemble it?
Otherwise, I'd probably buy one of each, them return the unneeded one after the repair.
Thanks!
Bill

Old 01-01-08, 06:50 PM
F
Bumping this question.

Old 03-28-08, 02:25 PM
F
Just wanted to verify that the 1225 is the perfect replacement for the 12801. Just did it 5 minutes ago. Quick and painless!

Wanted to add....cartridge cost me $19.00 at Home Depot. The old cartridge was a little difficult to pull out. I rocked it in and out several times before it popped. Nice thing is the new cartridge came with grease already applied.

Old 07-11-09, 05:56 PM
L
replace old "cystal" roman tub handles?

I have the original 12801 type Moen valve (not the new posi temp) on a roman tub with the old "crystal" 2 handle roman tub handles. Are there more modern chrome lever type trim handles available for the roman tub and or a more modern spout? I would like to update the single handle shower pull as well with a chrome lever type. The valves are working fine. Anything available and from what source? I am not going to rip out the tile. Thanks.

Old 12-31-10, 05:57 PM
T
I have a M7500 Moen faucet in the kitchen sink (single handle) that has been here as long as I have lived here (1991) and may be a few years older than that. It started to leak a few months ago and Moen sent me a new cartridge model 12801 in a plastic wrapper that says Moen 1225 B. It comes greased already.
I followed instructions on the internet to remove the cartridge in the M7500 faucet and install the 1225 cartridge; I pried off the cover, unscrewed and removed the handle, was supposed to remove a washer (which I did not see), and then am supposed to use pliers to remove a retaining clip, but I don't see a retaining clip.

Does the M7500 faucet really come with a retaining clip? I don't see it.

I went to the next step - insertion of the white plastic tool on the cartridge stem, and using of pliers to loosen the cartridge by twisting back and forth, but I could not loosen it. I am becoming very frustrated, and this is New Year's Eve and there is nobody to call for help.

Anybody have answers to the above questions? Thanks in advance. And Happy New Year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: