Shower door drip rail coming off?

Old 05-17-06, 11:49 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower door drip rail coming off?

I have a framed shower enclosure, on the bottom of the glass door (door opens out) there is a piece that has come loose & is coming off. It looks like a drip rail, it is aluminum in construction and makes contact with the rail attached to the shower pan when the door is closed (there is no rubber sweep below it and without it the door still contacts the bottom rail) and attached to the door by a sort of double sided tape (black in color).

Do I need this part? What does it do? (I think it is there so that when you open the door after the shower it catches the water on the door so it does not drip to the floor?) but I do not think from the looks of it that it prevents water from coming out of the door with the shower running.

If needed how can I re-attach it to the door?

Old 05-17-06, 03:45 PM
K
Well I pulled the part off and there is a rubber sweep on the bottom so i need it back on.

Does anyone know what would hold it back on? There was a black double side tape there when I pulled it off but I have never seen a waterproof version? The shower is 3 years old so it was put on by the manu.

Old 05-17-06, 04:17 PM
M
I use stainless screws for mine.

Old 05-17-06, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
SS screws work, but there is a waterproof double sided tape for this purpose. Just make sure you tilt this gutter down toward the hinge side slightly. That way, when you open the door, any water running down the door will drain back into the shower rather than onto your floor.

Old 05-18-06, 03:18 AM
K
Thanks for the info. It looks like the rubber sweep is attached to a piece of aluminum and that piece sits inside a channel within the larger gutter piece (attached by two screws). However the whole assembly was attached to the bottom of the door by the double sided tape.

This piece is pretty heavy for D\S tape, can I just drill thorugh and attach the whole assembly to the bottom of the door with longer screws?

Old 05-18-06, 04:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Longer may not solve the problem if they are stripped out. Larger will be the ticket. Longer may go through the extrusion. And screw them by hand, not with a drill. Also, keep in mind where your glass is. Glass and screws don't mix.

Old 09-02-08, 09:47 AM
M
Can't Find Waterproof Double Sided Tape

I have the same issue with a drip rail on a shower door. Does anyone know a brand name of Waterproof DS tape? I am unable to find any at Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 09-02-08, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
melber,
Try 3M trim tape from an auto parts store. If it will hold trim on a car in the heat out here, it will work fine in a shower.

Comes in several diff widths.

Old 09-02-08, 05:46 PM
J
In 2002 that same piece came off of my shower door. I used Duro Outdoor Fixture Adhesive to reglue it. It is still firmly attached.

The Duro comes in a small 1.5 OZ tube and is kind of the same consistency as toothpaste. Very easy to use and sets up slowly enough to reposition the sweep as needed, not like contact cement. As I remember after getting it in the position I wanted I put a clamp on it overnight. The adhesive dried in about a day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: