Plaster Guard for Shower Valve


Old 05-25-06, 12:25 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 24
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plaster Guard for Shower Valve

I'm installing some new shower valves. The valve has a plastic plate attached to the front, called a "plaster guard". I can understand how to install it, but It's not clear to me what this is for. Is this just to create a keepout area around the valve stem?
Old 05-25-06, 07:00 PM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 220
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That, and make sure the valve is sticking out the wall the right length. Check your rough in instructions.
Old 05-26-06, 09:12 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,964
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Also, if you don't cut the hole in the shower fiberglas, tile, etc the size of the plaster ring, the cover plate won't fit snugly against the wall when you go to install it. Note it has a convex design. But basically it keeps plaster (sheetrock mud, thinset, etc.) from falling back into the works and causing problems.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: