CPVC on to Copper

Old 05-28-06, 10:15 AM
T
Tao
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
CPVC on to Copper

I'm in the middle of a bathroom redo. Converting a tub into a tile shower. When I capped the water lines I used a conversion piece. I mean copper to CPVC piece. The end over copper is compression. Would there be a problem if I continued with the CPVC. I would put a shutoff then continue up to an elbow so the pipe comes out of the shower wall and then tie it in to whatever fixture I use? I haven't had good luck sweating copper. It would be easier if I solvent bond CPVC up to the fixture. Good idea or not?

Thanks

Old 05-28-06, 10:42 AM
Not a good idea. Compression fittings that are not in full view are not code in most areas. I have included a link that will help with your soldering problems. Click on it and scroll down to the copper pipe section. It gives all types of info on working with copper pipe. Good luck.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/h2handlecopper

Old 05-28-06, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just to add...You stated converting a tub to a shower, and I was unsure if you were still keeping the tub. If your shower control has a diverter, and it is a higher end Delta, you will have to use copper or iron. For some reason the diverter will not work properly with cpvc. Of course, being a guy I didn't read the fine print. Luckily I had the ability to change the pipes out prior to finishing the back divider wall, so been there done that.

Old 05-28-06, 06:08 PM
Something I missed in my last answer. If you are going to a total shower unit (no tub) the drain has to be increased to 2" from the 1-1/2" tub drain. Has to be 2" all the way to the main drainline.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: