Tub Caulking Problem

Old 06-11-06, 08:33 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Tub Caulking Problem

Recently installed a shower/tub door (glass by-pass style). Initially caulked the door and waited the required 24 hours for drying. After 2-3 showers the caulk turned to mush along the edges where frame meets the top of the tub. I removed all of the caulk along those edges, let a fan run in the bathroom for a couple of days (to assure that there was no water). Re-caulked and allowed the caulk to dry for over 36 hours. It appears that the caulk is beginning to turn to mush once again (doh!). What do I need to do to assure that the 3rd time is indeed a charm???

I've used Dap brand "Kwik Seal Plus" kitchen and bath adhesive caulk both times.

Any help you can give is much appreciated... before I go buy a shower curtain!

thanks.

Old 06-11-06, 12:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Quit using toothpaste and use GE Silicone II. The quickseal is good, not great, for around sinks, etc. but where constantly bombarded with water, it won't hold up. Do as you have done before, drying, etc., and use as thin a line of silicone as you can get by with.

Old 06-11-06, 06:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree, you need to use silicone caulk. It isn't as user friendly as latex but should do the job. Keep a wet thinner rag handy to clean up any errant caulk while it still wet.

Old 06-11-06, 06:43 PM
B
I agree and will just add you might want to practice on something first. No finger caulking with that stuff. Cut the tip at a slight angle

Old 06-12-06, 06:48 AM
G
thanks for the advice. i'll give it another go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: