Wax versus Rubber toilet bowl seal

Old 07-25-06, 11:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Wax versus Rubber toilet bowl seal

What is better to seat a toilet to the floor, a wax ring (old school) or the new rubber ring?

Last edited by thevassers; 07-25-06 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-25-06, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some people swear by the new rubber seals. Others swear AT them. Being an "old school" Plumber, I can't think of any reason to switch from what has been great for years.

Old 07-25-06, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Majakdragon,

Do you prefer the sleeve type, or the sleeveless. I have ran into a number of sleeve-type, that in theory, one would think these would guide the waste water down through the flange better? Yet, these have caused floor leaks in instances where too much wax is squished out and it's literally sitting on the plastic sleeve. In such cases, I switch to sleeveless. Haven't had to replace sleeveles ones for leaking.

Old 07-25-06, 06:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 742 Upvotes on 648 Posts
I always thought the wax seals with the sleeve were for raised floors - when tile, wood, etc raised the floor the commode sat on above the mounting flange.

Old 07-25-06, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
I always thought the wax seals with the sleeve were for raised floors - when tile, wood, etc raised the floor the commode sat on above the mounting flange.
Mmmmmmm...I don't know about that. You still have to be sure that whatever type you use, that you have good contact between wax and the flange and bottom of toilet. You can't rely on the plastic to be a substitute for a (possibly needed) extension. No matter how high your floor is, the sleeve is still going to go down into the flange the same distance as it would with the floor being at the original height. And the height of the wax will be the same. But if the floor height gets raised, this will raise the toilet and make the wax seal comprimised, whether sleeve, or sleeveless.

Maybe someone else will weigh in on this.

Old 07-28-06, 10:50 AM
R
I am no pro, and have only replaced 4 toilets, remediating improper closet flange height on 2 of them. I used the new rubber gasketed plastic assembly that is supposed to replace traditional wax rings on one, and sufferred leakage. Wax rings work best for me.

Old 07-28-06, 01:17 PM
I have given more thought to what marksr said and perhaps the sleeve type would be best in raised floors (like tile added to floor, without the flange being built up) applications as there would be less pressure on the wax seal and therefore the airhorn on the bottom of the toilet would not be down as far, and the sleeve on the wax gasket would effectively help guide the airhorn water down below the wax better. At least we know that in this situation, the wax gasket will not get squished so badly as to cause a plastic (sleeve) on toilet (bowl) situation where the wax gets driven out.

Bottom line: marksr raised a good point.

Old 07-28-06, 01:23 PM
B
never used the rubber ones but in the too many to count toilets I have installed with regualr bowl wax I can't recall even one leaking. tried and true for me

Old 07-28-06, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Although some localities do not allow the wax seal with the funnel, I use them all the time. Never had a leak. For differences in flooring height, I install a Flange Extender. They come in different thicknesses and must be screwed down to the floor through the holes in the existing flange. Using two wax seals makes the possibility for leaks increase because they can slide when the toilet is placed onto them. This will leak OR partially clog the opening in the toilet bottom with squished wax.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: