Leaky toilet

Old 07-30-06, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Leaky toilet

Discovered today that the water supply to the tank is leaking. Dripping every three seconds or so. I turned off the main supply to the toilet. There is a pool of water in my basement from the dripping. How can I fix this? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-06, 01:17 PM
patsta27, welcome to the DIY Forums.
Depends on what exactly is leaking. Is the supply line leaking at the tank connection, the valve connection or a leak in the supply line itself? If it is leaking at the valve or tank connection, you can try tightening either a bit. DO NOT crank on these connections or you may break something. You can also buy a new supply tube and install it easily. With the supply valve off, flush the toilet and hold the flapper up to get rid of the majority of the water in the tank. Remove the nut at the valve (while holding a container under the valve to catch remaining water), remove the nut on the tank. You can then take this with you to get the proper supply tube. Good luck.

Old 07-30-06, 02:21 PM
Thank you for the quick advice, this fourm is great! Ok, I tried to tighten the supply to the bottom of the tank to no avail. It still leaked. So I tightened a bit more and it's still dripping. I ran to the hardware store and bought a new supply hose from the main to the tain. I installed that and it still dripped. I also picked up a new ballcock unit while at the store. I'm removing the old one and installing a new one. I'll let you know how this works out. Thanks!!!

Old 07-30-06, 03:48 PM
Thumbs up

Well, that did it. There must have been a crack in the base of the ballcock unit or the gasket went. The new unit is working like a charm and no more leak. Thanks for your help majakdragon, you seem to be the resident master for the area and I appreciate your help.