running toilet

Old 08-06-06, 07:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
running toilet

every hour or so my toilet runs. I replaced the filling assembly with a new no float system, I replaced the flapper and cleaned the seat but to no avail, I think it's just a poor quality toilet...any other ideas?...thanks in advance

Old 08-06-06, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Flush your toilet, and after it finishes filling, put about 8 drops of food coloring in the tank. Don't disturb it for about a half hour. Look in the bowl to see if any of the color is there. If so, and you have already made all the guts new, then you may have a crack in the back lip of the toilet allowing water to seep past. Maybe time for a new one. Post back with results.

Old 08-06-06, 02:47 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hello. The hose to the overflow pipe may be too far down in the overflow pipe and cause the toilet to siphon. Make sure the hose ends above the overflow pipe. I have also found that if the hose is too far down the overflow, pressure of the water out of the hose will prevent the flapper from seating correctly.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 08-06-06, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Woodbutcher
Hello. The hose to the overflow pipe may be too far down in the overflow pipe and cause the toilet to siphon. Make sure the hose ends above the overflow pipe. I have also found that if the hose is too far down the overflow, pressure of the water out of the hose will prevent the flapper from seating correctly.
Good Luck Woodbutcher
This is true. But for those who have the tube that sticks down in the overflow, rather than that piece that holds the tube that clamps on above the overflow...you just want to stick the tube down about an inch...preferably higher up than what the level of the water is in the toilet tank, to avoid this possible syphon problem.

Regarding the thought (from jvirtue) that just because one changes out the flapper, that this should automatically eliminate a flapper-caused leak?: Not necessarily so. I have had to go into my arsenal of flappers, on some toilets, to try to get one that seals. I get realy disgusted when I go through this. Also, if you have an old brass 'seat'...these can pit some. I have had to run emory cloth around the lip of these seats to get rid of the pits and stop such minor flapper leaks.

Old 08-06-06, 04:24 PM
J
thanks so much for all your help!!!!

will check that Chandler and post back...it's a crappy crapper, subdivision cheapie I'm afraid....thanks guys!

Old 08-08-06, 11:48 AM
T
Smile leak

check my post earlier today you may have a bad fill valve leaking.

Old 07-03-07, 06:47 PM
P
Smile

I have the same problem as jvirtue's initial post. My toilet runs about every hour or so. I have not replaced anything at this point. I did Chandler's food dye in the tank test. Almost immediately, the water in the bowl was tinted from the food dye. I also notice the bowl of this toilet gets dirty much faster then the 2 other toilets in my house even though I clean the 3 toilets at the same time and this toilet gets less use then the other 2 toilets. Could the food coloring in the toilet bowl and the problem with this toilet getting dirty faster then the other 2 toilets be related? What do I do now to fix my toilet problem(s)? Thanks!!

Old 07-04-07, 01:14 PM
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Ooo, you hijacked a year old post. You should have started another one, but no harm done. With the dye moving immediately to the bowl, you have an aged slimy or otherwise damaged flapper. Your fill valve may be operating properly, but the water seeping past the flapper will cause it to cycle on and off more than normal. Buy a new flapper and replace it before you dig too deep. Let us know how it goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: