toilet install from scratch

Old 08-17-06, 12:11 PM
skinzrule
Visiting Guest
toilet install from scratch

I've read everything related to "flange" and decided not to piece together different posts and assume I got it all right.

I'm finishing a basement bathroom from scratch. I intend to tile the concrete floor. Currently the toilet drain (PVC) sticks up out of the concrete and is capped off.

Reading the forum, I find that I should tile first, up to the pipe, and set the flange on top of the tile (bottom of the flange touches the top of the tile), bolted through the tile into the concrete floor. Seems like you could either set the flange so the top of it is flush with the tile or set the flange on top of the tile, but the latter is preferred if possible. Correct?

Assuming I'll be using a plastic flange that you can get at the big box stores (by the way is this a no no?), where should I cut the pipe that is sticking up above the ground. Level with the top of the tile? And when would be the best time to cut the pipe - before laying the tile and estimate the height of the tile + thinset - or after laying the tile? I don't have an idea as to how hard it would be to cut the pipe level with the tile (if that's what I'm supposed to do) after the tile has been laid.

Think that's all I have, thanks in advance. If you think there's something else I should know/consider but haven't asked by all means throw it in.

Old 08-18-06, 06:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you plan on having the flange sit on top of your tile, wait until you finish tiling, then cut the pipe off and install an internal flange. If you want to tile up to the flange and have it flush with the tile, of course, cut the pipe and install the flange. You can cut the pipe with a standard pvc saw or one of the newer inside saws you install on a drill and cut from the inside of the pipe.
There are only a few manufacturers of the pvc pipe, so where you get it isn't important.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: