Our shower faucet has a HUGE faceplate -- how do I find a replacement???

Old 08-18-06, 10:35 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Our shower faucet has a HUGE faceplate -- how do I find a replacement???

We are replacing our shower/tub faucet. Now that we have removed the faucet, we see that we had a fairly large 'faceplate' (for the one handle dial). The faucet is probably 15-20 years old (original to the house). I am having a very difficult time picking a new faucet because I need one with a large faceplate. The opening in our shower enclosure that has to be covered by the faceplate/dial is 6 1/2" wide x 5" high. Can anyone recommend any specific lines or models of shower faucet sets or suggestions for finding one large enough? I would prefer to save money and purchase on the internet, but it is next to impossible to find out the size of all the faceplates. I am starting to wonder if ANY of them are as big as the one we are replacing Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-06, 12:26 PM
It is possible that the faucet has been repaired in the past. I have seen replacement faucets that come with an oversized faceplate to allow working inside the wall for doing the pipe work. Good luck.

Old 08-18-06, 12:47 PM
A
Actually, it hasn't been repaired. Unfortunately, there is the same situation in the master bathroom I just don't know how come the faceplates seems so much larger than the ones I see at Home Depot. But there MUST be something out there....I just am not sure how to find it....

Old 08-19-06, 04:02 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hello, I have a Moen shower valve, the faceplate is seven inches diameter. I have seen repair plates that are bigger that you fasten to the wall the install the faceplate on top of that.They are called smitty plates and come in different sizes, depends what you take out and what you put in Try aplumbing shor.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 08-20-06, 10:28 AM
A
Thanks allot. At least the term 'smitty plate' helps. Gives me an option to look for