Leveling concrete floor for new shower

Old 10-02-06, 09:37 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leveling concrete floor for new shower

I'm installing a bathroom in our basement and have a 48" shower unit that will be installing. While framing the walls for the shower, we set the shower base in the alcove to make sure everything would fit okay, and I could see that the shower unit doesn't sit level on the concrete. The concrete floor was sloped slightly when it was put in (40+ years ago) to direct water to a floor drain. The shower unit is ribbed underneath, so it's designed to be installed without pouring any support underneath it.

I was kind of figuring I would run into this, and now that I have, I'd like to know the best way to level out the base. I've read that some people shim underneath it, and others put either grout, or quickcrete under it.

Anybody have any tried and true methods for doing this?

Old 02-05-09, 09:59 PM
T
3 years later...

I am doing the same thing! I am installing a 48x32 shower base on a wood subfloor and I must lift the front (threshold side) up 3/8" off the floor to get it level.

How do I get this thing level?

There's gonna be a gap in the front which I assume I can cover with caulk. The shower base is plastic (I suppose); it weighs a ton and has nice strong ribs everywhere, so I don't think I need a bed of mortor.

It's a Mustee Shower Floor. The directions do not mention leveling anywhere. It just says that they "recommend that shower floor be installed on a bed of 30 lb. roofing felt to comensate for any inconsistencies in subfloor or slab (panlel/floor adhesive could aso be used for this purpose)."

But what about leveling????? It just syas "Level shower floor in both directions."

Any ideas? Thank you. - Tony17112acst

Old 02-06-09, 01:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i would apply non-shrink grout or mortar and level the floor. shimming without support will only lead to bigger problems down the road.

someone else may have a better idea but that is what i would do

Old 02-06-09, 07:17 AM
T
I woke up this mornign with the idea that I pour water into the shower base with the slight slope and the water DID go to the middle where the drain is.

So since the water is draining with the slight slope, I think I'll just put it in as is.

If anyone sees a pitfall with this, please let me know.

-Tony

Old 02-06-09, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
What are you using on the walls? If you are planning to tile, I would think you would want the base as level as possible?

No tub or tile Pro...it just seems to make sense to me.

Old 02-06-09, 02:51 PM
T
Ahhh ...I just thought of that RIGHT before mounting the shower base to the floor. I figured I can tile at a very slight angle over the lip and it won't be noticeable at the very low level.

I didn't want to go thru the hassel of the motor bed. I"ll be tiling anyway and cutting the 1st row of backer board is the only extra work I'll have to do (Im thinking).

-Tony

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: