REALLY noisy bathtub drain

Old 10-05-06, 01:53 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy REALLY noisy bathtub drain

This is a new construction:

I have just set a tub/shower, filled and drained it testing for leaks.

The problem is, this is the NOISIEST drain I have ever heard in my life. The noise is coming out of the overflow tube, not the tub drain.

The tub seems to be draining fast enough, but it is as noisy as it is fast.

Factors:
- 3" in ground plumbing.
- new construction, no obstructions (I have capped openings), vent stacks all open.
- tub is served by a 2" line tapped into the 3" line a foot or so down-stream of the toilet soil pipe (no toilet yet, capped).
- 2" tub line "T's" off for bath sink (capped).
- 2" line serving sink is acting as a wet vent for a distance of about 18". This line is not in use yet, the sink is not in place.
- 2" line (main branch) continues about 4 feet, passes through a 2" p-trap, then is reduced in the vertical riser to 1 1/2" and gets plumbed to the tub.

Notes of interest: The tub drain kit contained what they called a "sanitary T", BUT this T doesn't look like a sanitary T that I am used to seeing. It looks almost like a regular T, but it does have some slight angles in the t-junction area. The angles, shape, diameter, etc., all appear the same in this T for the pass-through portion that would be coming from the overflow, and for that matter the inflow from the tub bottom drain too.

This T is highly suspect to me, but at this point, to correct this or test this theory would mean breaking concrete. I know test it before cementing, but there were extenuating circumstances.

Help, if you know a solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-06, 11:34 PM
I've had the same thing happen at a current job. New tub kit from a big box store made me think my vent was blocked. I dunno why it is so noisy but I think is has something to do with where the metal drain screws into the plastic arm the connects to the T. If you look down in it the actual drain is halfed by a bit of plastic with threads on it and a little hole half way up. I bet it is that bottle neck. I've not messed with it yet but do plain on trying to fix it.

I know this is the last time I get one of those cheapo kits.

Old 10-06-06, 04:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Another thing to consider is the air being sucked past the plunger in the overflow may cause vibration of the plunger, since they are loosely held in the pipe. If it is pvc, you could change it to a bras one. JUst a thought.

Old 10-06-06, 11:19 AM
Good thought, I'll remove the plunger and see if it helps, but the noise (at least the one I'm hearing) is more a chugging sound as if the vent is plugged. After a big chug it gurgles then chugs again. Most of the noise is coming out the overflow which makes me wonder like the OP if it has anything to do with the cheap T from the kit. I'll post back when I get home with results.

Old 10-06-06, 01:26 PM
R
I tried a couple more things this morning in an attempt to find the problem. Nothing worked.

This is not a choke and gurgle sound. Once I open the drain, it takes the water flow about 3 or 4 seconds draining before the sound starts.

The drain does not create a big whirlpool with air sucked in the middle once the water gets low. It does swirl pretty rapidly, but doesn't appear to be syphoning hard enough to pull air.

- I removed the plunger/stopper. I am using the foot operated type, so there is no mechanism in the drain at all, just the drain basket after I unscrewed the stopper. Makes no difference.

- After looking at my plumbing book, the T that I have is called a waste T. The drain instructions referred to it as a sanitary T. But, it is designed differently than a sanitary T. It looks just like the one in the plumbing book, except mine is PVC.

- POSSIBLE ISSUE: After looking this "T" over again, I see that I have installed the "T" upside down. But, from the design of this "T" I can not see where it would matter. Before installing the drain, I looked at it several times, trying to see if there were any differences with regard to flow (like there is with sanitary T's), I found no difference. However, there is an arrow on the "T" to indicate flow direction.

- In my haste I glued that puppy in upside down.

NIADH, is your kit a Keeney Manufacturing product? The instruction sheet is by "Duracraft Plastics", so I guess that they make much of the kit. All references to the "T" on the instruction sheet is "sanitary T", and the drawing is really a sanitary T. The "T" design in the kit is not the regular sanitary T.

Does yours have the arrow on the T, and did you mount yours UPSIDE DOWN also??

If flow direction with THIS "T" is of any importance you would think that they would make it known in the installation sheet, but there is NO mention of such a requirement.

If this is the problem, I will have a whell of time changing it (no room left for cutting and splicing AND my T is right against the concrete floor now).

I am going to see if Keeney Mfg. has a web site. If I find anything worthwhile I will post it here.

Old 10-06-06, 04:53 PM
R
There was a "help" section, it really didn't offer much. But, there is also an 800 number. I would say most of the help is slanted to help with the PRODUCT, but that is understandable.

I asked "can going from 1 1/2" tub drain to a 2" drain/p-trap 3" down line of the 1 1/2" drain cause this". The answer was "It could, since you are going to a higher volume pipe and leaving more room for air".

Sounds reasonable, but I don't know if it is true. They had no answer for a solution.

Old 10-06-06, 09:21 PM
I really don't know who made the kit. There is no arrow on it either. The top and bottom are both threaded connections that use a gasket to seal but the top is flared out for another pipe to slide down in so there is only one way to put it together. The problem with the one I have is the pipe coming off the tub drain is running full causing the sound. I checked the slope of the pipe and it was around 1/4". I think it's just a cheap plastic kit. I'll probably end up replacing it with a quality stainless steel drain later.

Old 10-07-06, 06:40 AM
R
Good luck. This one is PVC and solvent cement make up, I won't do that again. To change it means cutting it out.

But I think my problem is going to be the larger drain too close to the small drain of the tub. If so, I will just have to live with it I guess, because it would require a major concrete bust up to change that portion out.

Old 10-07-06, 11:29 PM
R
Arrow

Went to the "big Box" store today and looked at the drain kit again.
The Mfg. supplies two different configuration of this kit, using two different "T's". In one kit IS a sanitary T, the other kit has the waste T. Looking VERY closely now (I have greater motivation now), I see the difference in this waste T. The waste T has a slightly smaller throat on the outbound side, but it must be enough to make a difference.

Talked to the plumber dept. guy, he says change it out to a regular sanitary T, he thinks that will cure the problem. So, that is my goal. I will post the result in a day or so.

Last edited by ramiron; 10-07-06 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 06:43 PM
R
Talking Fixed it...

Noisy drain has been silenced!! Pay attention to detail, don't hurry, and don't be distracted.
The "waste T" installed upside down was most likely my problem. I say most likely, because I changed it out for a "sanitary T", since I had to take it out anyway. It had to be cut out because it was the cemented PVC type.

This was the noisiest drain I have ever heard, but it is now very quiet.

It was my haste that led me to install the waste t upside down. It was marked with an arrow, not real noticeable, but it was marked. No mention is made in the installation instruction about the "arrow" or flow direction, so beware!!