Running Toilet

Old 10-12-06, 02:45 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running Toilet

I'm a renter and hate to call my landlord for something I may be able to fix myself. I have a toilet that runs all the time. The water is moving ever so slighlty in the toilet bowl. The flapper seems to be fine and the ball float seems to be working ok. I hear a hissing sound that seems to be coming from the tank fill valve(I think that's what it's called-it is on the inside of the tank on the left side and threads through the tank top). If you apply pressure on this assembly the hissing stops. The minute you stop applying pressure it starts up again. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and how it can be fixed? I appreciate your help.

Kathy

***Moderator's note: Duplicate thread created in the Plumbing and Piping Forum has been deleted.***

Last edited by DIYaddict; 10-12-06 at 02:51 PM. Reason: See note in post
Old 10-12-06, 03:59 PM
Y
if you lift the float ball and the water stops, you ballcock assembly is finished.
only tworeasons water runs into toilet-the ball **** is done or the flapper is done.
if you are handy go to hardware store and buy a new ball ****, a newer style like fluidmaster and it should be easy to install.
but also understand that the landlord would be happy to fix it since he is paying for the water.
good luck
ryan

Old 10-13-06, 05:50 AM
K
Running Toilet

I did try lifting the ball but it didn't help. When you flush the toilet, the ball lifts and stops like it should and the toilet is quiet for about a second but then you start to hear the running again. I will go ahead and replace the ball and the flapper. Should I also replace the fill tank valve? I appreciate the help.

Kathy

Old 10-13-06, 06:02 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Kathy,

No pro, but see if this article helps you any:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/repairtoilet

Old 10-13-06, 08:10 AM
J
Probably the fill valve, often called the ballcock by plumbers, but both terms are correct. One little test you can do is to turn off the stop valve, this is the little valve under the toilet tank. With the water off to the toilet, see if the water level drops in the tank. If it does, your problem is likely with the flapper or flush valve assembly (the thing the flapper attaches to).

Let us know how it goes.

P.S. your landlord should fix this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: