Toilet seat unstable...

Old 10-25-06, 04:39 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet seat unstable...

Hi,
my toilet seat wobbles front-back. I thought the nuts on the side need tighting. the nut,screw and washer are all rusted. I tried to loosen the nut (counterclockwise) but all three of them were turning. Since I was not sure what the screw underneath is holding to, I stopped and came here for help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-06, 05:41 PM
T
Not Good

From your description, I'm assuming you mean the base unit of your toilet rather than the seat (which is what goes up and down). Sounds like your flange might be broken, allowing your toilet to rock.

The proper thing to do is to cut off the bolts, remove the toilet and inspect the toilet flange. It might need to be replaced (if it's broken, that would explain why the bolts are turning with the nuts/washers).

It's not a terribly difficult job for a reasonably skilled DIYer - involving removing the toilet, replacing the flange, replacing the wax ring, and shimming the toilet when replaced to make sure it doesn't rock and is level.

The problem your encountering won't get better.... and you could easily face a leaking toilet all over the floor in the near future.

Old 10-25-06, 07:14 PM
A
OK. That brings us to the question : what are the bolts(is that the same as screws? ) attached to underneath. do I cut-off the nut only? and how do I do that if as I mentioned everything is kind of stuck and turning together.
is there a link to a diagram that explains how everything fits including the nuts , bolts, flang and the wax ring?.
thanx for the response.

Old 10-25-06, 09:43 PM
T
You can cut off the bolts (not screws) with a hacksaw - sometimes you'll have to use just the blade with a pair of heavy gloves to hold onto it if you don't have room to work otherwise. You can also use a nut splitter if you have one, but I'm assuming you don't.

The "head" of the bolt is underneath the toilet and is attached to a flange that is screwed to the floor. This flange is designed to keep the bolt in place (and prevent it from turning when in good condition). The flange also provides the entrance into the waste drain system.

Check your private messages for more information.

Old 10-26-06, 10:12 AM
A
ok.
so far so good. but the instructions are for replcing the toilet but not the flange. you said the flange holds the head of the bolt that tighten the toilet bowl to the flange. I assume thatthe flange is attached to the drain pipe with another set of bolts. are these easy to remove from the floor without cutting thru drywall from below. please explain so I can prepare for what is expected. what if those bolts are also rusted like the ones that tighten the toilet bowl?. any link to a diagram that explains replacing the flange? thanx.

Old 10-26-06, 11:45 AM
T
The flange is attached to the drain system via glue or other 'relatively permanent" method. Replacing it can be a rather tedious and involved chore. There are "repair flanges" that can be used in conjunction with your current unit.

The first order of business is to remove the toilet and determine if the existing flange is good or bad. It's possible that the bolt has rusted through rather than the flange going bad - though not likely. Once you've determined your situation - head to your local big box store to find the proper repair kit/system to get you back in business.

Worst comes to worst, you'll end up calling a plumber - but the toilet will already be removed and all he has to do is repair/replace the flange. From there, replacing the toilet is a cinch (make sure you level it and shim it to avoid this problem in the future).

Old 10-26-06, 01:18 PM
A
OK.
before I start digging, let me make sure that I need to.
Is there any other reason that the toilet rocks?.
I don't think there is a leaking problem. I have a 7 year old boy who wakes up in the morning and loses aim at the toilet and smell of urine occurs sometimes. when he went on vacation to his grandparents for 1 month we didn't notice any urine smell at all.
so, could there be damage to the flank without a break in the wax ring seal?. And if I decide to go ahead with fixing it what are the parts that I need so I don't have to make several trips to the homedepot with the toilet removed?.
thanx

Old 10-26-06, 04:07 PM
T
You will need a new bolt kit - a new wax ring - total cost: approximately $7 - $10. You won't know about the flange until you remove the toilet and take a look at it.

Old 10-26-06, 05:24 PM
A
Thumbs up

Great.
Let's have that beer then!