Toilet tank leaking when flushed

Old 10-29-06, 05:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet tank leaking when flushed

Water is leaking at the top of the tank when I flush the toilet. I did the "leaky flush valve" test and it seems I need to fix it. (?) --->>>> I turned off the water supply, marked the water level, waited 10 minutes and sure enought the water level fell. So this means I need fix or replace the flush valve right?

I turned on the water supply and flushed w/ the tank open and notice water coming right up out off the "thing". It comes out of the blue knob thing like a water fountain. Here's the photo:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/victoriamwong/Toilet003.jpg

Is this the flush valve? I checked the other toilet in the other bathroom and it didn't do this. Good news is there's another toilet to use.

But, I need to fix this other one. What do I do now?

Old 10-29-06, 08:34 PM
There should be a hose that goes from that blue nipple that is spraying water to the overflow tube. It probably blew off the connection and is sitting in the bottom of the tank. It channels waters after the flush during the refill to the bowl to refill it for the next flush. With out the tube on there itíll spray water all over the top of the tank.

The tube is shown in this image labeled 'refill tube'. http://www.friendlyplumber.com/Images/american_standard/as_plumbing_101_images/toilet_parts.jpg

Old 10-29-06, 09:50 PM
D
Thanks Niadh. I was going to mention that but it's not squirting from that. I also noticed there was no overflow tube. I even checked at the bottom of the tank with my eyes and my hands and there's nothing there. I even looked in the other toilet and there's not one there either.

The water comes out from another part. The big round blue part that looks like a cap or cover. There's 2 holes that exist there. It's like that in the other toilet too but no water squirts out from there one I flush.

Should and can I buy an overflow tube and might this solve the problem? ...even though it wasn't there before?

Old 10-30-06, 01:45 AM
I see. Then your fill valve is bad too. The flush valve is the ball or flapper that holds the water in on the bottom of the tank. I donít know if a generic fill valve will work with your toilet. Most generics have the connection for the refill hose.

Do you know the make and model of the toilet? If not you may want to take the old fill valve and flush valve with you to the store to help find the right ones.

Old 10-30-06, 06:44 AM
D
Hmmm... Toilet shows "Toto" (name) on it. Nothing else. I can go to any big box store right?

Pretty simple and self explanatory on removing parts? Turn off water supply and empty tank as much as I can?

Thanks for explaining to me what the flush valve is too.

Thanks for walking me through this.

Old 10-30-06, 11:21 AM
The Totoís Iíve seen use a flapper for the flush valve and have an overfill tube on the right hand side. A universal fill valve should fit it as well as a generic flapper. You could probably use a kit from Walmart. I am puzzled over why yours doesnít have an overflow. You mind draining the tank and taking a pic of the inside?

The flapper snaps on and off. You shouldnít have trouble with it. The fill valve is held in from underneath the toilet by a nut. Drain the tank, take off the supply and right above where you unscrew the supply will be the nut holding in the fill valve. Have a bucket ready because there is always water left in the tank that will run out.

Old 10-30-06, 11:38 AM
D
Wow...you're familiar w/ the Toto...seemed very foreign to me. Although toilets itself is foreign to me since I don't understand them but I know how to use one.

In any case, it does have an overflow tube just not the refill tube.

Getting things at Walmart would be great.

When I get home I'll empty the tank the best I can, though I think I could probably get a good pic w/out emptying it. I'll post as soon as I can.

Old 10-30-06, 08:26 PM
D
Here are the pics:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/victoriamwong/Toilet008.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/victoriamwong/Toilet007.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/victoriamwong/Toilet006.jpg

So, as you can see...there's not much to this toilet.

Am I ready to go to Walmart now? Do I need to take it apart and take it to the store or once I get there, it's pretty simple to find?

Old 10-30-06, 09:20 PM
Yep that's as standard as it could be. The only thing you really need to worry about is the length of the fill valve. Try to match it as closely as possible.

Old 11-05-06, 01:40 PM
D
Niadh

Thanks so much! I replaced the flush and fill valve. :thumb up: It's fixed! Was a pain in my bottom for a while figuring it out. I honestly wouldn't have attempted to fix it myself w/out your help. Ya made it seem easy and possible Wasn't completely easy but after getting to it and working on it, it worked out.

I went to Walmart but they didn't have much a variety but I found a generic one at a big box store. It fit perfect although it came with the refill tube which originally, I didn't have one but I hooked it up anyway. This is ok right?

Last edited by DIYaddict; 11-05-06 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-05-06, 06:37 PM
Congrads.

The first time you try anything it seems 10 times harder then it really is. Now that youíve fixed your first toilet it makes all future jobs seem that much simpler.

The refill tube should have been on the old setup. I don't know why it was missing but now it's all fixed.

Old 09-28-09, 07:01 AM
T
wondering if someone can help me, before my husband calls a plumber. our toto tiolet is spraying water up when you flush, I know there aren't a lot of moving parts, wondering how to fix this. can i do it myself

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: