Toto Toilet repair

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-06, 07:53 AM
I
ido
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toto Toilet repair

My toto toilet has a problem with the Gmax fill valve. It fills, pauses, fills again a little, pauses and so on until finally stops. I cannot find instructions anywhere as to how to adjust this valve. Do you have any information on this valve?

Old 11-09-06, 10:44 AM
D
ido, welcome to the DIY forums

This might help you out:

http://www.terrylove.com/hunter.htm

It has instructions on "installation" but if you read further down, there's additional information. Check back as the pros here are great. I had a Toto problem too, but I don't have the Gmax.

Old 11-09-06, 04:06 PM
I
ido
Toto toilet

Thanks for the info, DIYaddict. Will try tonight to fix the problem.

Old 11-09-06, 07:00 PM
I
ido
Toto success

I took the Gmax valve apart and cleaned all. I now need to find a distributor of the replacement cap Korky P/N R528 in Canada. I know it will work just fine when I replace the cap.
Thanks again DIYaddict.

Old 11-09-06, 08:38 PM
D
ido, I merged your new thread here. I'm glad you got it going!

Old 04-03-09, 04:01 PM
S
toto repair

How do Itake the mechanism apart so that I can stop the slow leak. Is there a way of adjusting the flow so there is no leak?

Old 04-03-09, 04:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by sahartman View Post
How do Itake the mechanism apart so that I can stop the slow leak. Is there a way of adjusting the flow so there is no leak?
it depends on where this slow leak is. is it from the tank to the bowl? is it from the fill valve into the tank?

a little more info would be nice instead of us just guessing

Old 11-02-10, 03:33 PM
M
Toto fill valve leak

My fill valve on the toto does not stop leaking. There is a continuous drip every two to three seconds. So, I could use some help on how ti fix that as well. Thanks

Old 11-02-10, 06:48 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Old 11-03-10, 02:46 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
FWIW, I have replaced several Toto fill valves with Fluidmasters. They seem to work fine. One is in my own house and has been in use for about 5 yrs.

Old 11-27-10, 02:56 PM
G
I have a Toto G-Max Pacifica. It's a 2 piece toilet. The fill valve started acting up a few weeks ago so I decided it needed to be replaced. To keep it simple I decided to order a replacement Toto fill valve. Toto designed a new fill valve (replacement for the ones that look like the Korky after-market valves) which has a screw adjustment. The reality is, Fluid Masters are just as good (I have one in a Kohler toilet) and probably come with better instructions.

Anyway, here is what I would like some help with from the pros please....the design of the Toto Pacifica makes it impossible to replace the fill valve without taking off the tank. So, i took off the tank, replaced the valve and reattached the supply line (hand tighten only as instructed) and now I have a leak. I strongly suspect the bolts used to attach the tank to the toilet base, but am not 100% sure. My question - should i replace the bolts? is that something a professorial would do every time? or did i likely mess something else up?

Last edited by gianni; 11-27-10 at 03:01 PM. Reason: changed Kirby with Korky
Old 11-28-10, 09:36 AM
H
Where is the leak

Is it from the tank to bowl bolts, water line in or donut between tank and bowl? If it is tank to bowl bolts, I always put nuts/washers on the outside bottom of tank even if they are not provided. Put the rubber washer inside the tank.

Old 11-28-10, 05:34 PM
G
Hey Handyman663,

Thanks. The leak is coming from the tank bolts. while the toilet is only 5 years old, my wife has used the blue toilet cleaner stuff in the tank many a time. I suspect the rubber around the bolts is just bad. I will likely call Toto in the morning and order a bolt kit.

QQ for you - when you say you install washers on the underside, how? I can't figure out how i would do that with the toto tank bolts?

Old 11-29-10, 08:01 AM
H
Memory tells me that Toto always includes 4 nuts with the tank to bowl kit. A lot of the cheap stuff sold by the orange place does not. My order of assembly starting inside the tank is; bolt-then steel washer(sometimes the bolt has a broad head and does not require a washer)-rubber washer. Put the bolt thru the tank hole. On the outside bottom of the tank add another steel washer and nut. Tighten gently. The extra nut on the bottom of the tank should not interfere with the bowl. Make sure that it does not, so you don't crack the bowl.

Finally, install the donut and tank to bowl with the final two nuts.

I find all rubber plumbing parts in bad shape within 5 yrs here. I attribute it to chlorine in the water, but I am not a chemist. Hope this helps.

Old 11-29-10, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=gianni;1794397]Hey Handyman663,

Thanks. The leak is coming from the tank bolts. while the toilet is only 5 years old, my wife has used the blue toilet cleaner stuff in the tank many a time. I suspect the rubber around the bolts is just bad. I will likely call Toto in the morning and order a bolt kit.

QQ for you - when you say you install washers on the underside, how? I can't figure out how i would do that with the toto tank bolts?[/QUOT

Most toilet manufactors prohibit those cleaners inside the tank, they deteriorate the mechanism.

Old 08-15-11, 12:08 PM
P
Bizarre issue with Toto toilet not filling...

Have taken the fill valve apart, cleaened it but nothing appears wrong...

Disconnected the flexible from the wall faucet and there appears to be good water pressure. Can blow into the flexible and hear air coming out of the fill valve

But when I connect the flexible to the wall faucet and open the valve, no water appears to come to the fill valve... ?

Puzzled... and unable to use the toilet :-(

Paul.

Old 08-15-11, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Hi polol,

What type of fill valve are you talking about?

Mike NJ

Old 08-16-11, 06:22 PM
P
Hi Mike,

The "standard" TSU22A (http://www.buyplumbing.net/?pg=pd&_i...FQnc4AodUDRw9g)

I have three Toto toilets, all the same (and functioning well since years...)

The only difference I can see is that the faulty one has a different flexible...

Old 08-16-11, 10:19 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
When you write "flexible" do you mean the flexible connector hose between the shut-off valve and the toilet inlet? Do you by any chance have a Watts "Flood Safe" connector? the Flood Safe has shown to be problematic with toilets. I suggest that you change the connector hose regardless as they are only a couple of bucks.

Old 08-18-11, 08:02 AM
P
Yes, appears to be the shut off valve... forces me to take the bowl of which I was trying to avoid :-(

Thanks !

Paul

Old 08-18-11, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Disconnected the flexible from the wall faucet and there appears to be good water pressure
But you said you had good pressure? Now you dont?

Mike NJ

Old 01-31-12, 01:14 PM
J
Refill tube drips in Overflow Pipe

My Toto toilet functions just fine, but the refill tube constantly drips into the overflow pipe about 2 drips per second. This is a big waste of water. Is there an adjustment I can make to stop the dripping?

Old 08-24-12, 08:50 PM
W
In reply 14, Handyman gives an assembly order for the Toto tank-to-bowl nut-and-washer set. I just wanted to suggest that this isn't the official setup, and is likely to lead to leaks. You NEVER put the metal washer over the rubber washer inside the tank -- that's a guaranteed leak-o-matic. Here's the correct installation: Get a little fine sandpaper and sand the floor of the tank around and in the bolt holes to remove any bumps that may prevent a good seal. Put the rubber washer (and just the rubber washer) on the bolt, and insert it through the floor tank from the inside. On the outside of the tank, put a metal washer and one hex nut. Tighten. You now have a nice waterproof-seal between the bolt head and the washer and tank floor, a seal that isn't going to be interfered with by the rest of the installation process. Now, place the tank on the bowl and thread the bolts through the bolt holes in the bowl. On the other side of the bowl, put the second rubber washer, the second metal washer and the second hex nut. Tighten the hex nut against bottom of the bowl. Now, keeping the tank totally-vertical, tighten a few turns on one hex nut, then a few on the nut on the other bolt. Back and forth, just a few turns on each, as you compress the rubber gasket. Watch for simultaneous contact of the tank with the three points of contact on the bowl. If it is off at all, loosen and adjust the bowl, and retighten until all three points of contact are made at the same time. Once you have contact, stop tightening or you will crack the porcelain. Good luck!

Old 08-24-12, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks Wjcandee good write up.

I will post this pic of tank bolt install and close this thread. If others have tank issues please start a new thread. I believe this thread has run its course.

www.smartplumber.org

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: