Old 11-18-06, 06:36 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa fe /texas
Posts: 998
Question "lead"sleve

my local plumbing supply sells a brass-off set toilet flange-for instalation to a 4"cast pipe.
but "not" the lead sleve that goes inside the flange & pipe.
the existing flange is brass-with a lead sleve-sort of flared over the inside of the flange to hold/seal it to pipe.
sleve is 3-4" deep into cast pipe/inside surface is smooth-does not appear to be a poured lead joint.
any idea as to where to get such?
or any other suggestions?
what I want to know,is how to join the off set flange-back to the existing cast pipe-after i remove the origal & remove necessary concrete to acomodate the offset.

Last edited by newtofta; 11-18-06 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-06, 05:58 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa fe /texas
Posts: 998

all you guys take a look at the question-and not 1 reply?
Old 11-22-06, 09:51 PM
steve_gro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,091
I used to have some 4" lead pipe, but I think I melted it into hubs years ago. It'll be hard to find; maybe a plumbing supply in NYC or Chicago, but I doubt it.

How far down is the cast? I'd forget about the lead & brass flange, and bring the cast up to grade (or ABS or PVC or whatever). There are flanges that will compress to the outside of cast-iron pipe. Frank Pattern Mfg makes one called an 'insta-set', and they're available in an offset version. I've used them for years & they work great.

Old 11-24-06, 07:35 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa fe /texas
Posts: 998
"thanks" for info!
Old 01-30-07, 06:48 AM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5
I removed my basement toilet (installed circa 1989) and found a similar installation...the lead sleeve inserted about 4" into a CI pipe, and bent out over the flange, with holes cut in the sleeve to let the bolts pass through. What I don't understand is how the sleeve is (normally) attached, and what function it serves. Is the flange not normally attached?

Can anyone explain this?
Old 01-30-07, 09:39 AM
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 2,398
Likes Received: 1
I don't know how it's done now-a-days but long ago and far away the flange was set on the cast iron pipe and the plumber leaded it it(poured melted lead around the flange), they used large burners and melting pots, if the connection was too deep they would fill the connector part way with a rope like stuff called Okum then put in the lead. Have a nice day. Geo

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes