Low water level in toilets

Old 12-23-06, 09:00 AM
diyrich
Visiting Guest
Low water level in toilets

We have two bathrooms next to each other. All the fixtures drain into the main drain to our septic tank. When water is drained out of the bathtub, the water level in the bowls of both toilets gets very low. This also seems to happen when we are using our laundry room in the basement, which is directly under these bathrooms, and of course connected to the same drain.
I'm not sure if it is when the washer is filling, or when the tray pump is draining the laundry tub. It has not caused a problem...........yet.
Could this be an indication of something possibly in the roof vent pipe?
Rich

Old 12-23-06, 08:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Rich, it sounds as if you have a venting problem. Soda straw effect. Place a soda straw into a Coke, place your thumb over the end and remove the straw. The liquid will remain in the straw until you release your thumb, and equalize the pressure above and below the liquid. Same thing is happening in your vent pipe. Squirrels leave all sorts of treasures this time of year in your pipes sticking above your house. If you feel comfortable doing it, take a garden hose up on the roof and chug the vent pipes until the obstruction(s) are gone. Don't place yourself in danger, as it isn't the fall, it is the sudden stop.

Old 12-23-06, 08:56 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water is getting siphoned out of toilet. This is a common problem when vent stack gets clogged. See another of today's threads at http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=288296

Old 12-24-06, 09:41 AM
Z
I had a hunch that it was a blocked vent. Because when I flush the toilet the water doesn't have the turbulence flow anymore. It just does down non-directionally.

So sticking a water hose down the vent from roof could flush out whatever that might be blocking it? Would it overflow or leak inside the house somehow? I don't complete understand how vent works in a drainage system. I know they are for releasing trapped gas from the system and that's it.

Old 12-24-06, 09:52 AM
T
It's the vent pipe system that brings fresh air to the drain pipes, preventing suction that would either stop or slow the free flow of wastewater. Water will not overflow in house if running water hose down vent pipe.

For a good explanation of how your toilet works go to: http://www.msdlouky.org/programs/whenuflush/homeplumbing.html

Old 12-25-06, 12:47 PM
diyrich
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your responses. That is what I thought the problem might be.
We do get a bubbling noise sometime when empying the bathtub.
I guess it could be squirrels, birds and maybe leaves as well.
Now I just have to wait for a decent day here in Michigan to do it.
Rich

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: