Gurgling noise from tub when toilet flushes

Old 12-26-06, 10:33 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gurgling noise from tub when toilet flushes

This has been going on for several months, went away for a short while, and has returned. It's fairly loud now.

It happens probably 8 out of 10 flushes. A loud gurgle coming from the tub drain after the toilet finishes flushing.

Any ideas for a possible cause? Should I have it checked out?

Thanks,

Jon

Old 12-26-06, 06:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Jon: it seems you have a venting occlusion. The vent pipe through the roof has acorns, leaves, and anything else the squirrels could poke down there. And after time, moisture will cause it all to pack down and clog it up. Sort of like placing your thumb over a soda straw after you have it in a Coke. Removing the straw will allow the Coke to remain in the straw until you remove your thumb, equalizing the pressure over and under the liquid.
If you feel up to it, and safe in doing it, go up on the roof with a garden hose and chug the pipe. You will feel the occlusion and after it breaks loose, the hose will move freely, and your gurgling should be over.

Old 12-29-06, 03:27 AM
J
Thanks, Larry.

Do you mean actually squirt water down the pipe? Or do you mean use the hose as a sort of snake to dislodge the clog? Or both?

Would it make sense to put a sort of screen over the top of the pipe (once it's unclogged)? I'm thinking of using a metal circular clamp to hold it in place.

I appreciate the help.

Jon

Old 12-29-06, 04:58 AM
Jon: I would use it as a snake for the first time, until you are fairly sure the clog is gone. Otherwise you will take an unexpected winter bath on the roof. You can turn on the water to make sure, but I rarely do.
You know, I have always wondered why vent pipes don't come with a screen type cover to allow the gasses to vent and air equalize, but keep the stupid squirrels from dropping stuff down them. Hey, maybe we are onto something! I'll design it...you market it, and we split it.

Old 12-29-06, 01:56 PM
J
Hey, for all I know, it's a squirrel down there.

I'll try your advice tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Jon

Old 12-30-06, 08:09 AM
J
Talking

Just got down from the roof. Dislodged a clump of leaves and whatever that settled way down in there. Four toilet flushes later, no gurgling (so far).

Hey Chandler, you didn't tell me my hose was gonna be covered in doo-doo!
Now I know why they call it a stink pipe.

Thanks once again,

Jon

Old 12-30-06, 10:32 AM
That's why we need to develop a universal cover that will allow air in and keep doo doo out. My wife is an organic gardener, and she calls it black gold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: