Shower water diverter

Old 01-03-07, 04:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Shower water diverter

I have a single ball-type Delta faucet in the master bath tub and the water diverter isn't working correctly... The old one started to leak through the stem so I went to the hardware store and got a Delta replacement... I put it in easily but it works only manually... I push it in to get the water to the shower head and have to leaks at the tap, all the water is diverted... However, when I turn the water off, the diverter stays "pushed in" and doesn't automatically "pop out"... This isn't a big problem because I can manually pull it back out and all is good... Why isn't the diverter "popping" back out with no water on ??? Any ideas ???

Old 01-03-07, 01:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You say you purchased a Delta replacement. Was that a cartridge or the o rings and springs for a repair kit? If you take off the cover plate, and with the water off, you can unscrew the diverter stem from the assembly boss inspect it and replace the washer if necessary. Maybe lubricating it with swimming pool pump grease will help. The leaks around the stem sound as if the o rings need changing and possibly the collar tightened up a little.

Old 01-03-07, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile One Piece

I replace the one piece cartridge... I took it out twice and fipped it over and over... No change... I got the same unit upstairs and its working... Maybe I'll swap the two to narrow it down to the cartridge or the valve assy... Thanks for the reply...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: