Replacing shower diverter...HELP!!

Old 01-17-07, 03:13 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing shower diverter...HELP!!

I have one of the three knob deals in my shower. Hot, cold and diverter of course. I have water coming out of the shower head and tub faucet. I am far from a plumber so some advice on what to do from start to finish will be greatly appreciated. I tried to take the middle knob off to see what I could but it seems to be stuck. I unscrewed the knob but nothing. This thing is pretty old so I'm not sure if it may be stuck or if I need to do something else. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 01-17-07, 03:39 PM
S
Shower diverter valve help

Just finished the same job you are doing.
Get a handle puller from hardware store or Lowes, or the like. Runs about $10 most.
Also, get the nut wrench tool. It looks like an oversize sparkplug socket. After you get the handle off, there is usually a small nut on the valve you can get off with most standard wrenches. Behind it, is the large one this tool fits. Once this comes off, you can remove the valve.
And, this suggestion was given me by folks here at DIY
Sarge
"If you have to go, go Airborne, the only way to go."

Old 01-25-07, 01:43 PM
R
more help needed!!!!!

I got the new diverter today and noticed that it looked a bit different than the one I took out. Reason being, the back piece of the diverter is stuck in the pipe. I can't get the piece out, which means that I can't get the new one in. The stuck piece just slides on on the back of the diverter. Is there a tool or something I can use to get it out. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
The diverter is by american standard . Replacement part is 11C-1D American Standard. Thanks.

The plastic bushing and screw on the end of the diverter broke on the old one, which is why it wasn't working. I was able to pick all the pieces out with some needle nose.

Old 10-19-07, 07:40 AM
F
I am working on the same issue. The plastic bushing and screw have come off and are inside the valve. I cannot get them out for anything.

There seems to see a "sleeve" inside the valve after I removed the stem and it has like four "holes" in it. This seems to be preventing the plastic part from coming out.

Do I have to keep working at the plastic or can I take this "sleeve" out and make things easier on myself?

So far I unscrewed the diverter handle, then I unscrewed the shiny cover, then I unscrewed the stem. Is there anything else I am missing?

Old 01-15-09, 07:58 PM
N
Same issue here..."sleeve" stuck in pipe

I literally just bought a new 11C-1D American Standard stem replacement kit and I'm in the same shoes as the others....I could not get the rest of the old stem kit out in order to get the new in. Does anyone know how this is being held in place. Please help!!!! This is our only bathroom with a shower.

Thanks,

NWADE

Old 02-03-09, 06:52 PM
S
Same issue

Nwade, I am having the exact same issue. Were you able able to figure out how to get that piece out? Any information would be helpful.

Thank you

Old 02-04-09, 01:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i have a pair of 4" curved nose hemostats type pliers that i use to pull pieces out of faucets

Old 02-04-09, 12:08 PM
S
It's in there pretty tight. I've tried several pliers variations without much luck. Picked up a internal pipe wrench at lunch and will give that a try. Also have read that a nipple extractor or "easy out" might work. That will be next on the list is the wrench doesn't work. The next problem is trying to locate a replacement valve. Tried HD, Ace, Ferguson, etc. no luck yet.

Thanks

Old 02-19-09, 10:13 PM
L
shower dirverter issue

I too have the same issue with water coming from both the shower head and the tub faucet. replaced the stem for all three (hot, cold and diverter) but the water comes out of both at the same time... how do I fix that???

Old 02-24-09, 03:53 PM
A
that makes like eight of us.

Old 02-24-09, 04:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
replace the diverter valve.

Old 02-25-09, 06:57 AM
Replacing the three-knob dealy too

So, I've got a real old bathroom, mud job tiles and all that. I need to replace the control with an all-in-one because the temperature controls do not work right and I'll need them workin good for when the baby comes. I plan on taking out the control and whatever tiles I have to but I think the controls are too close to the faucet for the new control. I could also use a list of needed parts etc. and maybe replace the shower head too. Any and all tips would be appreciated.

Old 07-13-09, 04:32 AM
R
just installed new shower diverter. Now no hot water in sink. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: