Tub Faucets

Old 01-25-07, 05:06 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub Faucets

I want to replace the washers in my tub faucets but cannot get the handles off. One screw that holds them on is corroded so badly I cannot get it out and the handle on the other won't pull/pry off. Any suggestions on how to them the handles off would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Old 01-25-07, 05:36 AM
S
For the handle that you got the screw out,go to a hardware store and get a tool known as a "faucet handle puller".

For the handle with the screw in it,go to the hardware store and get what is known as a "screw extractor" or "easy out".

Go to a real hardware store not a big box where they will have qualified help to instruct you on how to use these items and with the easy out you'll need some assistance in getting the proper size and proper associated drill bit.

Old 01-30-07, 06:42 AM
D
Faucets

Thanks for the advice....I purchased the tools and hope to solve my problem soon....

Old 02-01-07, 06:45 AM
D
faucets

Now that I have the handles off is there any surefire way to get the covers off that are over the valves? They are flared, not the straight tubes, and they screw on. But the threads are so corroded that I cannot move them. I have sprayed them with WD40 but will have to wait till the weekend to try it again. Thanks

Old 02-01-07, 07:39 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have found BP Blaster works about 50 times better than WD-40. Also try lock pliers to turn the flanges. Cover the teeth with tape or the plastic covers that often come with the pliers so you don't scratch the outside of the flanges.

Old 02-01-07, 07:42 AM
D
faucets

Thanks, I will look for the BP Blaster and give it a try..

Old 02-01-07, 01:32 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have seen it at Lowes and auto parts stores have it. My boiler's heat/rust welded fire door bolts that wouldn't budge with my biggest wrech and WD-40 practically came off using only my fingers and BP Blaster.

Old 01-21-08, 04:11 PM
E
Emilie

Originally Posted by DMCGEE View Post
I want to replace the washers in my tub faucets but cannot get the handles off. One screw that holds them on is corroded so badly I cannot get it out and the handle on the other won't pull/pry off. Any suggestions on how to them the handles off would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
I've just had that problem - trying to pull the handles off. I found a tool downstairs in the basement, where my deceased husband kept all his many tool. I was a piece of iron that curved around on both ends that you could use to ply something off with. I carefully used it all around the back of the handle just a little, so as not to break the clear plastic handle. It finally gave way and came off. For the rusted screw, pour some machine oil on it and use the best phillips head screwdriver you can find, and hold the handle with a rubber jar turner - a flat thin one, and then pray. Worked for me! Now I wish I had someone to tell me why the handles keep going and won't stop, now that I have them back on. I thought maybe the threads were stripped, but they're not. Must be inside the stem assembly. Well, guess that's something else to buy. This is my 3rd day to have to run downstairs to turn on the water and then run back down to turn it off, so the cold water will stop running in my tub. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks, Emilie Jan.21,'08

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: